A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4...ABS light has come on. I understand

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4...ABS light has come on. I understand the testing method to get the code, but I cannot find the diagnostic connector to run the test. I know appx where it is supposed to be but unsure which connector is correct and cannot find a good pic anywhere...any help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lurch replied 5 years ago.

The Rear Anti-Lock Brakes (RABS) diagnostic connector located on the main wire bundle inside of cab under dash, slightly aft of the 53 pin connector, driver's side, connected to mating Keep Alive Memory (KAM) connector.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have that info...(straight from http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl492d.htm)... but that is still too vague when you are hanging under the dash and seeing 25 connections. Any more specifics?
Expert:  Lurch replied 5 years ago.

nope..........only that you have to do a little digging to find it.
The plug is close to the Firewall, & if it hasn't been pulled out before, is held by a plastic holder.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks...but I am afraid I have to know more than that...there are alot of connections in there...with no idea of shape, color, number of wires, color of wires, etc...it is a crap shoot and I can't just go in there and start grounding wires to get the code without knowing for sure I have the right one.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer The RABS self test connector is located behind the passenger side kick panel.

graphic

Location C-1 in the diagram. It has a Red wire on one side of the connector and a Black/Orange stripped wire on the other side of the connector. Unplug the connector and ground the Black/Orange wire with the key on. You will get a flash out code. Count the flashes and post them here on this post. we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
PASSENGER side? That's news...manuals say DRIVER side and that is where I have been looking..please confirm...

Yes. I have Ford Manuals from Ford and the connector is located behind the passenger side kick panel for rear ABS. Please look.

graphic

This is from the 1999 Ranger shop manual. Location C-1 in the diagram.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nope...nothing there...actual there is very litttle on the passenger side in the way of connections...I pulled out the glove box and side panel next to the door and looked there too just to be sure. no connection...no orange/black wire anywhere.
Do you have 4 wheel abs or just rear? Because if you have 4 wheel ABS, you will have to pull codes through the DCL connector under the steering wheel with a scan tool.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not know...good question. How can I find out? I did hook a code reader to the main connection under the driver's side/cab/ steering wheel...no problems...no code issues come back on the reader. The connection we have been discussing...just to clarify...INSIDE the cab, passenger side, orange/black wire?

Black wire with and Orange stripe on one side of the connector and Red wire on the other side of the connector. To tell if you have 4 wheel ABS, under the hood near the brake master cylinder will be the HCU (hydualic control unit). It has serveral brake lines going into and out of it. Also you can check the front wheels and see if you have a wire harness going to the front rotor along with the brake line.

graphic

This is the HCU for 4 wheel ABS.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes...it's four wheel ABS...but I used a code reader to hook to the computer (connection under the stearing wheel)...it said all was fine but the light is still on.
The Yellow ABS light or the REd Brake light?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yellow.
Make sure your code reader willl communicate with the ABS module. The engine computer will not give cods for the ABS system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

just a standard code reader plugged into the wide connection under the steering wheel will give me the info? Or are we talking about a special reader?

The standard code reader only gets engine light codes. You will need a codes reader that will communicate with the ABS module, the GEM module and the PCM(Computer). They are all separate systems. They do not share codes. ANy auto parts store will get the codes for you for free if you have one near you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well, I actually used an auto parts store reader to test...so I need to confirm with them that the reader will actually read ALL codes...not just engine codes? BUt same connection?
Correct. All codes including the ABS and at the same connection. It is called a DCL connector. Short for Data Link Connector.
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance