howard
howard, ford diesel tech
Experience:  ase master in auto with L1,ase master in heavey truck with L2, ford senior master since 1999

94 explorer: 4.0L..tdc #1 cmp..Have the intake manifold off.

94 explorer 4.0L pushrod engine. @ TDC #1 CMP/CID sensor removal and replacement. Have the intake manifold off. Removed the 'distributor' clamp and screw (10mm). Removed sensor head. How do I get the entire unit out? Strong pulls do not work. Unit rotates freely.
Category: Ford
Expert:  howard replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomermy name is XXXXX XXXXX me try and help your explorers cmp sensor is the same as the crank sensor I think you might be referring to the oil pump drive where the distributor once was?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does have a crank shaft position sensor, new. The camshaft position sensor is back against the firewall, where the distributor used to be. It looks just like the original ones in my Chilton manual. The clamp and nut looks like a distributor clamp.
Expert:  howard replied 5 years ago.
Ok I think that you have a California emmissions so it the sensor turns freely than like I said before that is also the oil pump drive so it may be stuck on the pump drive you'll need to pry up on both sides at the same time graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there some puller I can / should use, or should I take the hood off so I have access to fashion something up? Prying on both sides is a little difficult given the current space overhead of the sensor gear. As long as I can pull on it. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some special orientation of the sensor required or some other clamp.   The picture you sent is right on.
Expert:  howard replied 5 years ago.
Just work it back and forth be gental pry one side then the other I know its tight ,you may want to remove the sensor and make a reference mark on the inside as there is a speical alinment tool for the sensor but as long as you put it back in the same place with out moving the crank you'll be ok
howard, ford diesel tech
Experience: ase master in auto with L1,ase master in heavey truck with L2, ford senior master since 1999
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, I'll keep at it. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing something. Since the sensor itself in unobtainable I had to buy the complete integrated unit. There's actually a mark in the side the new one.
Expert:  howard replied 5 years ago.
Installation, California Ranger and Explorer After performing Steps 1-15 above, rotate crankshaft until TDC mark on the damper is accessible. If not present, place an additional mark on the damper at 26 degrees After Top Dead Center (ATDC). This position is 34mm (1.34 inches) counterclockwise from the Top Dead Center (TDC) mark. Position No. 1 cylinder to 26° ATDC between compression and ignition stroke. (Both intake and exhaust valves must be closed with TDC mark on vibration damper at pointer.) Lubricate oil pump drive pinion, flange and O-ring on assembled oil pump drive gear and CID sensor with SM-2C 1013-A oil. Do not get oil above mounting flange. Item Part Number Description 1 12K073 CID Sensor (California Only) 2 E853103-S O-Ring 3 6846 Oil Pump Drive Assembly 4 6007 Engine 5 12270 Distributor Hold-Down Clamp 6 E602550 Screw. Tighten to 17-21 Nm (13-15 Ft-Lb) 7 — Maximum Level for Pre-Oiling Drive Gear 8 — Minimum Level for Pre-Oiling Drive Gear NOTE: Normal CID sensor rotation is clockwise viewed from top of CID sensor. Align the CID sensor rotor as shown with the trailing edge of the vane lined up with the short mark at the left hand side of the plastic window. Position the sensor above its hole at right angles to the block rear face, with the wiring connector pointing rearward. Install the assembled CID sensor and oil pump drive gear into the engine. As the assembly is pushed into place, the camshaft gear will rotate the sensor vane clockwise toward the center of the window. Rotate the CID sensor counterclockwise. Install clamp and screw finger-tight. Rotate the sensor back to its position at right angles to the back of the block. Connect the CID Testing Wiring Harness T94T-50-B to the CID Sensor. Connect the CID Testing Wiring Harness leads: Red harness wire to battery positive terminal. Black harness wire to battery negative terminal. Voltmeter positive lead to harnesses white lead. Voltmeter negative lead to battery negative terminal. Item Part Number Description 1 T94T-50-B CID Testing Wiring Harness 2 — White Lead (Part of T94T-50-B) 3 — Red Lead (Part of T94T-50-B) 4 — Positive Terminal (Part of 10655) 5 10655 Battery 6 — Red Lead (Part of 007-00407) 7 007-00407 Rotunda Digital Volt-Ohmmeter or Equivalent 8 — Black Lead (Part of 007-00407) 9 — Negative Terminal (Part of 10655) 10 — Black Lead (Part of T94T-50-B) 11 — Connector (Part of T94T-50-B) (Attaches to CID Sensor) Rotate engine two revolutions to take up slack in timing chain and return No. 1 cylinder to its compression stroke. NOTE: No. 1 cylinder must be at 26 degrees After Top Dead Center (ATDC) to set CID sensor. Verify that No. 1 cylinder is on its compression stroke. (Both valves closed.) Continue to rotate the crankshaft until the new 26 degrees ATDC XXXXX XXXXXnes up with the timing pointer. NOTE: The voltmeter will register battery voltage whenever the CID sensor closes and makes a complete circuit. While rotating the CID sensor, note the exact point where the sensor switches from 0 to 12 volts on the voltmeter. NOTE: The final movement to set the CID sensor must be in a COUNTERCLOCKWISE direction. Rotate the CID sensor clockwise past the CID switching point (from 12 to 0 volts). Rotate the CID sensor counterclockwise and stop at the exact point the voltmeter switches from 0 to 12 volts. Tighten the CID sensor hold-down bolt to 17-21 Nm (13-15 ft-lb) using Sensor Adjusting Wrench T94T-12270-A. Disconnect the testing wiring harness and the voltmeter and proceed with Step 12 of "Installation" above. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
howard, ford diesel tech
Expert:  howard replied 5 years ago.
this is from the manual its a little confusing but it need to installed right as with the intake back on you'll really have a tuff time
howard, ford diesel tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes.
"Position No. 1 cylinder to 26° ATDC between compression and ignition stroke. (Both intake and exhaust valves must be closed with TDC mark on vibration damper at pointer.)" When the 0 mark on the damper is at the pointer on the crank sensor, the sensor itself is at 0 deg., TDC six teeth past the gap. 26 deg. ATDC is a bit away counterclockwise. This part of what you sent me is confusing.

Later after inserting the gear then you move to 26 deg. ATDC. Right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.