Anthony, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.

90 Mustang LX: ignition coil, plugs and plug wires, dist..cap..rotor

90 Mustang LX 5.0.   Turns over but will not start. Have replaced fuel filter, starter, starter cable, battery cables, ignition coil, plugs and plug wires, dist. cap and rotor all in the last month. Problem started intermitently but got worse in three or four days until now it will not start at all, just turns over until the battery is dead. I had local dealer check diagnostics, no joy there. Had them check fuel system and injectors, all fine. What could have failed that wont let the car start?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Do you have a spark at the coil?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im not the most electrical minded guy. Whats the best way to check it? I have a multimeter, Im just not sure where to place the leads and what indications I should see.
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Ok, see if the red wire at the ign coil has power between it and the negative battery cable with the key on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes 12 volts dc
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Ok, spray carb cleaner into the intake and see if it fires up for a second or two.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No luck with carb cleaner. Still turning over like a champ just not firing. I ran to advance and picked up an ignition module. changed that out. still not starting. I dont have much faith in those replacements though. Im thinking about getting a motorcraft and trying that. ????????

Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Ok, you will need to change the distributor and the module together. Get all motorcraft parts and it should run.