Kyle
Kyle, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford certified - Diesel, gas, electrical, a/c, man trans, diff, suspension. Specialize in Electrical
17932110

How to replace front hub bearing on 2000 expedition

Customer Question

how to replace front hub bearing on 2000 expedition
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kyle replied 5 years ago.
Hello, thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. I have posted the service procedure out of the Ford service manual for your 2000 Expedition 2wd and 4wd. Hope this helps you.

Thank You,
Kyle

Please hit accept if i have answered your question sufficiently, otherwise i will not get paid for my work.

Removal 4wd Expedition

Note: The wheel bearing and hub are installed as an assembly.

1. WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the RH kick panel area. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

Raise and support the vehicle.

2. CAUTION: Do not use heat to loosen a seized wheel nut. Heat can damage the wheel and wheel bearings.

Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

1. Remove the brake disc.

1. Remove the front wheel hub nut.
  1. Remove and discard the cotter pin.
  2. Remove the retainer.
  3. Remove the nut.

1. Remove the brake disc shield.
  1. Remove the bolts.
  2. Remove the brake disc shield.

1. Remove the front brake anti-lock sensor.
  1. Remove the bolt.
  2. Remove the front brake anti-lock sensor.
7. CAUTION: Do not over-extend the CV joint and boots when removing the hub and bearing assembly.

Note: The CV joint is a slip fit into the wheel hub and bearing. A puller will not normally be required.

Remove the wheel hub.

1. Remove the bolts.
  2. Push the CV joint inboard. Remove the wheel hub.

1. Remove the seal.

Installation

1. Install the seal using the Knuckle Seal Replacer, the Threaded Drawbar and Bearing Cup Replacer.

1. Install the wheel hub.
  1. Position the wheel hub on the front wheel driveshaft and joint and into the front wheel knuckle.
  2. Install the wheel hub bolts.

1. Install the front brake anti-lock sensor.
  1. Install the front brake anti-lock sensor into the wheel hub.
  2. Install the front brake anti-lock sensor bolt.

1. Install the brake disc shield and front axle hub nut.
  1. Position the brake disc shield.
  2. Install the bolts.
  3. Install the front axle hub nut.
  4. Install the retainer.
  5. Install a new cotter pin.
  1. Install the brake disc.
6. WARNING: When the wheel is installed, always remove any corrosion, dirt or foreign material that may be present on the mounting surfaces of the wheels or the surfaces of the wheel hub, brake drum or brake disc that contacts the wheel. Installing wheels without proper metal-to-metal contact at the wheel mounting surfaces can cause the wheel nut to loosen and the wheel to come off while the vehicle is in motion, causing loss of control.

WARNING:

• Retighten at 800 km (500 miles) after any wheel change or any time the wheel nuts are loosened.
  • Failure to retighten wheel nuts at the mileage specified could allow wheels to come off while the vehicle is in motion, possibly causing loss of vehicle control and collision.

Install the tire and wheel assembly.

7. Note: If equipped with air suspension, reactivate the system by turning on the air suspension switch.
Lower the vehicle.

Removal 2wd Expedition

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. CAUTION: Do not use heat to loosen a seized wheel nut. Heat can damage the wheel and the wheel bearings.

Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Remove the front disc brake caliper and anchor plate.

1. Remove the hub grease cap, cotter pin and retainer nut.
  1. Remove the hub grease cap.
  2. Remove and discard the cotter pin.
  3. Remove the retainer nut.

1. Remove the spindle nut.

1. Remove the front wheel outer bearing retainer washer and the outer front wheel bearing.

1. Remove the brake disc and hub.

1. Remove the inner front wheel bearing.
  1. Remove and discard the wheel hub grease seal.
  2. Remove the inner front wheel bearing.
  1. Using a drift, remove the bearing cups.
10. Note: Do not spin the bearing dry with compressed air.

Clean the bearings with solvent and dry thoroughly.

• Inspect the bearings for cracks, nicks, brinelling or seized rollers. Install new if necessary.
  1. Clean the old lubricant from the hub, spindle and bearing cups.
    • Inspect the cups for scratches, pits or cracks. Install new if necessary.
    • Inspect the front wheel spindle for pitting, scratches or scoring. Repair or install a new spindle as needed.

Installation

1. Using a suitable bearing cup replacer, install the wheel bearing outer cup.

1. Using a suitable bearing cup replacer, install the wheel bearing inner cup.
  2. Fill the hub until the grease is flush with the inside diameters of both bearing cups.
    • Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or-K or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B.
  1. Using a bearing packer, pack the bearing cone and roller with wheel bearing grease.

1. Install the inner front wheel bearing.

1. Install a new wheel hub grease seat.

1. Apply alight coat of grease on the front wheel spindle.
    • Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or -K or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B.
8. CAUTION: Keep the brake disc centered on the front wheel spindle to prevent damage to the wheel hub grease seal.

Install the brake disc and hub on the front wheel spindle.

1. Install the outer front wheel bearing and the front wheel outer bearing retainer washer.

1. Install the spindle nut.
11. Note: The brake disc and hub should be rotated while adjusting front wheel bearing end play.

Tighten the spindle nut.

1. Loosen the spindle nut two turns.

1. Tighten the spindle nut while rotating the brake disc counterclockwise.

1. Loosen the spindle nut.

1. Tighten the spindle nut.

1. Install the following components:
  1. Install the retainer nut.
  2. Install a new cotter pin.
  3. Install the hub grease cap.
  1. Install the front disc brake caliper anchor plate.
18. Note: If equipped with air suspension, reactivate the system by turning on the air suspension switch.

Install the tire and wheel assembly.