john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

2004 F350: What is the towing capacity..Dually..5th wheel..haul

Customer Question

What is the towing capacity of the 2004 F350 Diesel Dually Truck? Do u hv to use towhaul when hauling? I am looking into purchasing a 5th wheel need to know if truck will haul it. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 years ago.
The owners manual if it breaks tow capaicity by your configuration . Trailer capicities dramaticly went up in 2005. If you take the max combined weight of the truck and trailer called, GCWR and subtract the empty weight of your truck (curb weight)this should give you your maximum weight. I'm showing 12,700#'s for a 04 F350 diesel in the 2004 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also asked about having to use towhaul or not when towing. And when I bought the truck I know the tow capacity was more than the Dodge and it was over 17,000. What about the tow haul part of the question?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just saw what maybe part of the problem with your reply answer is that towing capacity when pulling a 5th wheel or goose neck is different higher and I was wanting ot know that answer. Did not know there was a difference. So does your book tell you the tow weight when towing a 5th wheel or goose neck trailer. I know we were told that it was close to 20k pounds when we bought it but can not find the paper work right now.
GVWR numbers deal with the vertical weight that you are placing on the axles. Your 10K trailer is not putting 10K of weight vertically (or downward) onto your rear axle, normally it is be 20% of total weight is actually felt on the tounge of the trailer.
Basically, the numbers calculate that your 7400 lb. capable rear axle is supporting 45% of your trucks empty weight of 5000 lbs. This leaves about 5000 lbs. of available trailer tounge weight. at 20% of total trailer weight, Your total FRAME supported trailering capacity is 25,000 lbs. Using the Reese fifth wheel hitch will increase this amount since you are spreading the load over more of the front axle.
Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That helps but still need to know if I have to use towhaul on truck all the time I am towing. It uses more fuel/diesel. I will wait your answer when I get back and will then hit accept for payment. Thanks.
tow haul save wear on your tranny i would use it thats what its there for
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just talked to a service head at ford and he said to use tow haul when you need it so engine does not lug. To use all the time can mess up the tranny.
It should be used when towing