Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 ford taurus: ses..its cold it wont start but it does turn over

i have a 2001 ford taurus ses and when it's cold it won't start but it does turn over
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
How cold? These vehicles are known for the fuel pump to fail causing a no start condition, but isnt really temp related. Do you have a check engine light on? If not, the problem is probably a fuel problem. You need to hook up a fuel pressure tester and it should be at least 35-55psi at idle. If fuel pressure is low, replace fuel filter and try again. If still low your more then likely have a bad fuel pump. If fuel pressure is ok, you need to check for spark next time the vehicle is acting up. If there is no spark the most common problem is the crankshaft position sensor. You can test that by backprobing the wires and checking for ac voltage while cranking. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks that is what we were trying to figure out all ready changed fuel pump filter and computer
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

Here is a picture location of the crank position sensor. Let me know if you need anything and good luck.

graphic