Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers
13762030

Air bag sliding contact at the base of the steering column

Customer Question

air bag sliding contact at the base of the steering column
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1994 Ford F150. Clock spring changed 5 years ago by dealer. Need photo of sliding bar contact connector to check ohms.
Ok,here are your instructions to replace the clock spring.

1994 Bronco/Econoline/F-Series

Air Bag Sliding Contact Assembly

Removal

1. Make sure that vehicle's front wheels are in the straight-ahead position and steering column shaft alignment mark is at the 12 o'clock position.
  1. Disconnect battery to starter relay cable for at least one minute to let the air bag backup power supply discharge.
  1. Remove steering wheel as described in this section.
  1. Remove lower right and left mouldings from instrument panel by pulling up and out of retainer.
  1. Remove instrument panel lower trim panel and steering column shroud (3530) .
  1. Disconnect air bag sliding contact wire harness.
  1. Apply two strips of tape across air bag sliding contact stator and rotor to prevent accidental rotation.
  1. Remove three screws retaining air bag sliding contact , disconnect from wire harness, and pull air bag sliding contact off steering column shaft.

graphic

Installation

1. Align air bag sliding contact to column shaft and mounting bosses and slide air bag sliding contact onto the shaft.
  1. Install three retaining screws. Tighten screws to 2-3 Nm (18-26 in-lb). Remove tape strips.

NOTE: If a new air bag sliding contact is being installed, remove the plastic lock mechanism after air bag sliding contact is secured to column.

1. Route air bag sliding contact down steering column shaft and connect to wire harness.
  1. Install steering column shroud and instrument cluster mask (10890) .
  1. Install steering wheel as described in this section.

NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the strategy.

1. Connect battery to starter relay cable .
  1. Verify air bag warning indicator.
Have not heard back from you, so I assume you are needing more assistance on this matter, if so please do reply so I can finish this question. My goal is to have nothing but satisfied customers

Thanks Hope to hear from you soon, Scott
Was the information I sent you at all helpful? Please respond and let me know if there is anything else I can do. I strive to have 100% satisfaction and it seems that maybe you still have some issue. Thanks, Scott