Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

how do u remove a transmission on a 99 ford windstar

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.

I think the best way for me is to send you the shop manual procedure.

SECTION 307-01: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission1999 Windstar Workshop Manual
REMOVALProcedure revision date: 11/23/1998

Transaxle

Special Tool(s)
Engine Lift Bracket Set
303-D095 (D94L-6001-A) or equivalent
C.V. Joint Puller
205-241 (T86P-3514-A)
Impact Slide Hammer
100-001 (T50T-100-A)
3 Bar Engine Support
303-290-A
3 Bar Engine Support
303-290A-03A
Windstar Spreader Bar
303-290A-10
Support Bracket
303-290A-11
Engine Lift Bracket Set
303-D119

1. Remove the air cleaner assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12.
  1. Remove the battery and tray. For additional information, refer toSection 414-01.
  1. Disconnect the digital transmission range TR sensor electrical connector.
  1. Disconnect the transaxle electrical connector.
  1. Disconnect the harness retainer.
  1. Disconnect the shift cable.
  1. Remove the cable from the bracket.
  1. Remove the hood.
  1. Remove the pivot arm.
    1. Release pivot arm nut cover.
    1. Remove the pivot arm nut.
    1. Remove the pivot arm.
  1. Remove the screws.
  1. Release the clips.
  1. Remove the windshield wiper hose.
  1. Remove the cowl top vent panel.
  1. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  1. Remove the lower cowl top vent panel assembly.
    1. Remove the 10 bolts.
  1. Remove the front upper radiator shield.
  1. On vehicles equipped with the 3.8L engine, install the special tool.
  1. On vehicles equipped with the 3.8L engine, install the RH lifting hook.
  1. On vehicles equipped with the 3.8L engine, install the 3 Bar Engine Support.
  1. On vehicles equipped with the 3.8L engine, install the spreader bar.
  1. On vehicles equipped with the 3.0L engine, install the LH lifting hook.
  1. On vehicles equipped with the 3.0L engine, install the RH lifting hook.
  1. On vehicles equipped with the 3.0L engine, install the 3 Bar Engine Support.
  1. On vehicles equipped with the 3.0L engine, install the spreader bar.
  1. Disconnect the harness retainer.
  1. Remove the upper fluid filler tube.
  1. Remove the clips.
  1. Depress the tabs on the plastic insert retainer and remove the cooler line from fitting.
  1. Remove the transaxle retaining bolts.
  1. Remove the rear transaxle mount nut.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
  1. Remove the front wheels. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04.
  1. Drain the transmission fluid by lowering the transaxle pan.
  1. NOTE: The transaxle fluid pan does not need to be torqued in this step.

Install the transaxle fluid pan.
  1. Remove the subframe assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 502-00.
  1. Remove the ground strap.
  1. NOTE: The use of mechanic's wire will aid in positioning the starter out of the way.

Remove the starter and position it out of the way.
  1. Remove the RH inspection cover bolt.
  1. Remove the inspection cover.
  1. Remove and discard the four nuts.
  1. NOTE: The use of mechanic's wire will aid in positioning the halfshafts out of the way.

Using the special tools, remove the LH halfshaft from the transaxle and position out of the way.

Using the special tools, remove the right halfshaft from the transaxle and position out of the way.
  1. Disconnect the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor connector.
  1. Disconnect the turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor connector.
  1. Position the High-Lift Transmission Jack under the transaxle.
  1. Remove the right lower retaining bolt.
  1. Remove the left lower retaining bolt.
  1. Lower the transaxle assembly from the engine compartment.
  1. Remove the rear engine support.
  1. Remove the bracket.
  1. Carry out the transmission fluid cooler backflushing/cleaning. For additional information, refer to Transmission Fluid Cooler Backflushing and Cleaning in this section.