Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers

2001 Ford Explorer Sport: my front brake pads and rotors..ton

What tools do I need to change my front brake pads and rotors on a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. Ive never done this before but Ive watched my brother do it and he says its easy and I can do it myself this time. I have a 3 ton jack and jack stands. I just want to make sure after getting the wheel off I have the right tools to finish the job.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-2WD or 4WD?
-Are you replacing the pads and rotors?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Pads and rotors on a 4WD 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. And yes the Sport makes a difference. I found that out last time we did the brakes. The parts stores kept selling us rotors for an Explorer and they are different.

First thing you will need after jacking up truck and removing the wheel is to remove the upper caliper bolts.These will require a 13 mm socket to remove.

After you have the caliper off, you will need to compress the caliper pistons to fully compressed with a large pair of channel lock pliers or a large C-clamp.

Then you will need to remove the caliper anchor plate with a 15 mm or 18 mm socket.They split to two different possibilities for these two bolts.

Last step wil be to remove the front rotors,which may have clips on the wheel studs that will need to be removed. The rotors should slide right off ,depending on how much rust you have.

Befors reassembling, clean the pad surface and slide plates on the caliper anchor plate to prevent binding.