Steve Jensen
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience
17024452

How do you remove the ignition switch on a 1987 ford f150.

how do you remove the ignition switch on a 1987 ford f150.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve Jensen replied 5 years ago.
Peewee, are you needing to change the ignition lock cylinder where the key goes in, or the electrical ignition switch? Is your F/150 a tilt wheel? Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve, it's the ignition switch the key goes in. No tilt wheel

Can the key be turned to the on position? Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, i lost the keys to the old switch.
Okay, on your F/150 the lock cylinder must be in the "on" position to be removed. This means that you will have to drill out the lock cylinder to remove it. You have to break the outer part off of the cylinder (where you turn it with your thumb and finger to start it) using a channel lock pliers. You then have to drill down through the cylinder and tumblers until you can rotate it to the "on" position. On a non tilt wheel, you then have to remove the steering wheel and the turn signal switch to depress the release tab. On tilt wheels, there is a hole in the column right below the lock cylinder that releases it, but it still has to be in the on position. Unfortunately, this cylinder will not come out of the steering column without being turned to the on position. You may choose to talk to a lock smith to see if he can help. Steve
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience
If the information provided was of help in resolving your concern, please be sure to "accept" the answer. Thanks, Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where specifically do you drill to drill the ignition switch out?