Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

97 Powerstroke 7.3 wont start..acts..warmed

97' Powerstroke 7.3 won't start. It turns over and acts like it wants to start and yes it has fuel. The problem started last fall when it got warmed up it jerked a sputtered. Replaced the relay recall from the Ford dealer drove it on the trailer and brought it home. When we went to back it off the trailer it won't start. Replaced the starter and then we heard it could be the Fuel pump and don't want to put anything else in it until I know that could be the problem for sure or at least know if the engine is worth saving.   Thanks, XXXXX
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

How many miles on the truck?

What parts have been replaced in the last year?

Is there any smoke coming from exhaust when you crank it over?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

134000 miles

ebp valve starter cam sensor

no smoke fuel filter bowl was empty but now fuel is pumping in slowly

Thanks

Is the cranking speed normal cranking speed or is it slow crank?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cranked slow at first we thought the starter was bad so we pulled it, manual tranny now it cranks normal

Thanks

134000 is not many miles at all for this engine, as long as it was taken care of.

If the cranking speed is ok, and the batteries are good, I would be closely looking at the fuel system since you said the fuel bowl was empty. If there is air getting into the fuel bowl you might have a bad fuel pump or an air leak from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. Repair as needed. If that is ok, check fuel pressure while cranking over. You should have around 40-50 psi, and it will fluctuate a little while cranking. If it does not reach this pressure, be sure the fuel tank has plenty of fuel. If there is then I suggest replacing the fuel pump.

Thanks

Experience: Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0