Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division
1699649

how to replace cv axle on 91 ford tempo

Customer Question

how to replace cv axle on 91 ford tempo
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hi,here are the instructions for replacing the CV axle on your Tempo.Regards,Jerry.

NOTE: Halfshaft assembly removal and installation procedures are the same for automatic and manual transaxles, except on the automatic transaxle, the right side halfshaft must be removed first. Differential rotator tool T81P-4026-A or equivalent, is then inserted into the transaxle to drive the left side inboard CV-joint assembly from the transaxle. If only the left side halfshaft assembly is to be removed for service, remove the right side halfshaft assembly from the transaxle only. After removal, support it with a length of wire, then drive the left side halfshaft assembly from the transaxle.

1. Remove the cap from the hub and loosen the hub nut. Set the parking brake.
  2. Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. Remove the hub nut/washer and discard the nut.
  3. Remove the brake hose routing clip-to-strut bolt.
  4. Remove the nut from the ball joint-to-steering knuckle bolt. Using a hammer and a punch, drive the bolt from the steering knuckle and discard the bolt/nut.
  5. Using a prybar, separate the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Position the end of the prybar outside of the bushing pocket to avoid damage to the bushing; be careful not to damage the ball joint or CV-joint boot.

NOTE: The lower control arm ball joint fits into a pocket formed in the plastic disc brake rotor shield; bend the shield away from the ball joint while prying the ball joint from the steering knuckle.

6. Using a prybar, pry the halfshaft from the differential housing. Position the prybar between the differential housing and the CV-joint assembly. Be careful not to damage the differential oil seal, case, CV-joint boot or the transaxle.

NOTE: Shipping plugs T81P-1177-B or equivalent, must be installed in the differential housing after halfshaft removal. Failure to do so can result in dislocation of the differential side gears. Should the gears become misaligned, the differential will have to be removed from the transaxle to re-align the gears.

7. Using a piece of wire, support the end of the shaft from a convenient underbody component.

NOTE: Do not allow the shaft to hang unsupported, as damage to the outboard CV-joint may result.

8. Using a front hub removal tool, press the halfshaft's outboard CV-joint from the hub.

NOTE: Never use a hammer or separate the outboard CV-joint stub shaft from the hub. Damage to the CV-joint internal components may result.

To install:

9. Install a new circlip onto the inboard CV-joint stub shaft; the outboard CV-joint stub shaft does not have a circlip. To install the circlip properly, start one end in the groove and work the circlip over the stub shaft end and into the groove; this will avoid over expanding the circlip.
  10. Carefully, align the splines of the inboard CV-joint stub shaft with the splines in the differential. Push the CV-joint into the differential until the circlip is seated in the differential side gear. Use care to prevent damage to the differential oil seal.

NOTE: A non-metallic mallet may be used to aid in seating the circlip into the differential side gear groove; if a mallet is necessary, tap only on the outboard CV-joint stub shaft.

11. Carefully align the outboard CV-joint stub shaft splines with the hub splines and push the shaft into the hub, as far as possible; use the front hub replacer tool to firmly press the halfshaft into the hole.
  12. Connect the control arm-to-steering knuckle and tighten the new nut/bolt to 40-54 ft. lbs. (54-74 Nm). A new bolt and nut must be used.
  13. Position the brake hose routing clip on the suspension strut and tighten the bolt to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm).
  14. Install the hub nut washer and a new hub nut.
  15. Install the wheel/tire assembly and tighten the lug nuts to 80-105 ft. lbs. (108-144 Nm). Lower the vehicle and tighten the hub nut to 180-200 ft. lbs. (244-271 Nm).
  16. Refill the transaxle and road test.
    Fig. 1: Carefully pry the halfshaft away from the transaxle

Fig. 2: Support the halfshaft with wire to the vehicle body

Fig. 3: Use a prytool to separate the balljoint assembly from the steering knuckle

Fig. 4: Remove the hub from the shaft assembly using a suitable puller

Fig. 5: Stub shaft circlip installation