davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

2006 FORD: SUPER DUTY..PASSENGER..VAN..THE ANTI SKID SYMBOL IS..ALARM

RSC SERVICE NOW
I HAVE A 2006 FORD E350 SUPER DUTY 15 PASSENGER VAN WITH 90,000 MILES. THE RSC SERVICE NOW ERROR COMES ON RANDOMLY. THE ANTI SKID SYMBOL IS PRESENT ON THE DASH AND THE ANTI SKID SWITCH BLICKS WHILE MAKING A LOUD ALARM SOUND. THIS ERROR WILL COME ON RANDOMLY NO RHYME OR REASON.    DRIVING STRAIGHT ... MAKING A TURN LEFT OR RIGHT TURN.. IT SEEMS TO COME ON LESS WHEN PULLING OUR ENCLOSED TRAILER 7FT X 16 FT.   I DID CONNECT MY CODE READER TO THE VAN AND IT HAD NO CODES AVAILABLE.   ANY SUGGESTIONS.
TOM HART
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JA, there is a tsb (technical service bulletin) pertaining to your vehicle, I will attach it, but before we get into that, the RSC/ABS system does have the capability to retain diagnostic trouble codes, however when these are the fault of the inner circuitry of the abs module, the code will only be retrievable when the light is on, once the key has been turned off, the code will be lost, having said that, it may be a good idea to bring the code reader with you and hopefully you can catch it before you turn off the truck the next time the lights come on. This tsb is for an internal problem with the abs module which sounds like exactly what you have going on, but lets try to verify the code matches up with the one listed in the tsb before we replace the module. The programming of the module can only be done at a ford dealer, just to let you know ahead of time.

ISSUE:

Some 2006 E-Series 350 extended body vehicles equipped with a 5.4L engine may exhibit a Roll Stability Control (RSC) indicator light on with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1288.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. If a DTC C1288 code is discovered in the RSC module, replace the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-09.
  2. Firmly press and release the brake pedal while monitoring the MC_PRES PID. Does the PID increase with firm pressure on the brake pedal and then decrease with the brake pedal released?
    1. Yes: Return the vehicle to the customer.
    2. No: Install a new hydraulic control unit (HCU) . Refer to WSM, Section 206-09 Hydraulic Control Unit - Traction Control and Stability Assist. Calibrate the ABS module. Follow the scan tool directions for the calibration procedure. Clear the DTCs. Carry out the self-test with the brake pedal not applied, per the WSM, Section 206-09.

NOTE:WHEN SETTING UP VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION IN IDS AND THE PROMPT ASKS FOR AN ANSWER TO IVD YES OR NO? SELECT YES. THIS IDENTIFIES THE VEHICLE AS BEING EQUIPPED WITH ROLL STABILITY CONTROL (RSC). IVD IS A GENERIC NAME FOR RSC. THIS WILL ALLOW IDS TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE ABS MODULE. IF A 2006 E-SERIES 350 WITH ROLL STABILITY CONTROL (RSC) EXHIBITS NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE ABS MODULE WHEN USING THE IDS, DELETE THE VEHICLE SESSION IN THE IDS. THEN RE-IDENTIFY THE VEHICLE AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE. THIS WILL ALLOW THE IDS TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE ABS MODULE AND PROVIDE NORMAL DIAGNOSIS.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
7C2Z-2C219-ADABS Module

davehop, Ford Technician
Experience: Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company