Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

How do I replace an upper control arm on my 2004 Ford Explorer

Customer Question

How do I replace an upper control arm on my 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.I will try to assist you with your problem.

Is your vehicle 4wd?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes it's 4WD

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello Koshman,

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

1. Raise the vehicle and remove the tire.
  2. Remove the upper ball joint retaining nut and bolt
  3. Whack the control arm with a hammer a few times to get the ball joint to come out of the knuckle. Remove the control arm mounting bolts and remove the control arm.

I hope you found my answer helpful, in the case you did please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button shown on your screen. This is necessary so I get paid and receive credit for my work. Your question will not close after an accept, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional comments to add, then please do so, Take note in many cases I am not informed or aware of your skills or knowledge or what has been done in the past unless you tell me. I am providing my best answer based on what you have written, and sometimes there is a misunderstanding which a reply can resolve. Be courteous in understanding I did not build the vehicle or have any relations in its design or any control over past repairs, so please don't hold me accountable for the failure you have experienced.

If you reply and I have not gotten back with you then please understand I may be helping others or off to work or bed, I will get back with you as soon as I can.