Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

2003 ford f350: 4x4..a clunking sound in front end..slow speed

Customer Question

my 2003 ford f350 4x4 has a clunking sound in front end when turning sharp to left and right at slow speed
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 8 years ago.
Have you had the front suspension inspected for play?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I AM TRYING THE TRUCK OUT THINKING ABOUT BUYING IT. BEEN TEST DRIVING IT FOR 3 DAYS NOW AND NOTICED WHEN I TURNED SHARP IN A PARKING LOT OR SHARP CORNER AT SLOW SPEEDS IT SOUNDS LIKE A CLUNKING SOUND AND YOU CAN FEEL IT IN THE STEERING WHEEL A LITTLE. THERE IS SOME PLAY IN THE STEERING. HAS 85000 MILES. CHECK ED THE LOCKING HUBS AND SEEMS THEY ARE IN AUTO.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 8 years ago.
I would have them check the upper and lower ball joints for play,as they are a known weak spot on these trucks,also check to make sure the hubs are unlocking,you can do this by trying to turn the front driveshaft with the truck shut off in park and in 2wheel drive.you should be able to turn the shaft with no problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
DOES THIS PROBLEM USUALLY COST ALOT TO FIX? I AM LIMITED ON MONEY AND AM FEMALE AND I REALLY LIKE THIS TRUCK. THIS TRUCK NEEDS TO LAST ME A LONG TIME. SHOULD THE USED CAR DEALER PAY FOR IT EVEN THOUGH IT IS AS SOLD AS IS OR SHOULD I GET A MECHANIC TO LOOK AT IT AND THEN GET THE CAR DEALER TO GET THIER QOUTE TO FIX IT? NEED ADVICE PLEASE
Expert:  Ray M. replied 8 years ago.
I would get a good mechanic to look at it then take his estimate to the dealer,they may not pay for the entire job,but they should at least stand good for the parts.