Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

2003 ford windstar: Air Bag..the Brake Warning Light..Light come

Customer Question

2003 ford windstar I noticed the Air Bag Warning Light, the Brake Warning Light, & the ABS Warning Light come on
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello Mafecha,

I'm Chris, Thanks for stopping in here at Just Answer to ask a question.

Most likely the air bag light is flashing soon after you start the vehicle. Can you count these flashes for me before and after the short pause in the middle?

Have you used a scan tool to actually see what other codes are stored in the modules?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was driving home a few days ago. I was roughly 0.5 mile from home and in the left turn lane. I gave the left turn signal and looked at the dash. As I was turning, I noticed the Air Bag Warning Light, the Brake Warning Light, & the ABS Warning Light come on. I went through the intersection and the brakes still worked, so I continued to drive home. As I left the intersection, the signal arm cancelled but the signal light itself continued to flash (this eventually caused the alarm bell to come on). I limped on home. It had been misting / raining and I had the headlights on, but no wipers. After I got home, the Air Bag Light, the Brake Light, & the ABS Light had continued to stay on and the signal light was still on. In an effort to get the warning lights to go off, I turned the car off and the Air Bag Light, the Brake Light, & the ABS Light and the signal light went off. However, the headlights were still on. I went in my house and got a wrench. I unhooked the battery and the headlights went off. I repeated the trip through the neighborhood today and drove approx 0.5 mile round trip. It is even worse. When I first started the van, there were no warning lights on -- then after about 0.25 mile, the Air Bag Light, the Brake Light, & the ABS Light came on. But after about another 0.25 mile the car started running roughly and the motor died. I had packed a spare battery and I jumped myself. It made it the 0.25 miles back to my driveway. The check engine light has NOT come on through this ordeal. Car has approx 61,000 miles.
I cant help with 100% accuracy without haveing a scan tool hooked up and the codes retrieved. The air bag light should be flashing out a code which tells me whats wrong with it. As for the ABS and brake lights this is actually common where a ABS module fails and causes these concerns. As for the check engine light there are about 300 possible codes it could be. You are going to need a ford compatable scan tool hooked up. One other thing I would look into is a leaking brake pressure switch on the master cylinder causing electrical shorts in the fuse panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am going to explain you what happend from the begining...

First, rear wiper didn't work, then passanger power slide door lock stopped to work and speaker too. Third, e-break light started to show on and off.

I was driving yesterday AC lights everything was working good, after I turned off the car in my house and on again ABS, O/D off and E-break lights appeared, then I got no odometer, no speed clock, no AC and no heater and condition.....

So nothing was happend, no accident, no crash.... I just was driving in around.

So I've changed already relays, fuses, ether the cluster, and I discoved the car blows a fuse #6, if I'm not mistaken.... I also reset the computer and nothing happened.

You are experincing massive electrical issues here. You must now use a scan tool and DVOM for testing purposes to determine why all of this is occuring. As stated prior you do need to check the brake pressure switch to see if its leaking and causing brake fluid to travel down the wires to inside the fuse panel.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So why fuses are keeping blowing???? But I don't have that scan tool, I am trying to fix by myself. Is any other way to fix it without the scan???

Yes you can fix it without a scan tool but you just have to make logical guesses as I am doing based on what I have seen in the past. Fuses will blow from shorts. If there is brake fluid i nthe fuse panel then this is a short.

So far this is what you have to repair.

1. air bag
  2. abs
  3. brakes
  4. turn signals
  5. headlights
  6. rear wipers
  7. power sliding door
  8. speakers
  9. brake lights
  10. AC
  11. Heat
  12. OD light
  13. speedometer
  14. odometer

As a ford tech we use a scan tool to start, there are about 6 modules on this vehicle, there are about 700 possible total codes. You can have 3 codes or you can have hundreds. There are pinpoint tests for each code which tell you haw to fix them. I dont know the codes so I can say do this or that. I am tained by ford to fix vehicles by using the computer which is inside the vehicle, I am not trained to guess which makes me look bad and wastes my customers money and time. You for sure have a faulty ABS module, 80% of windstars do. As for the rest it looks like a fuse panel internal short.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok tnks
Your very welcome
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks problem solved brake pump was wetting the wires beneath it that the wrong circuit
Good job