john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

how do I replace cv joints on a 2001 ford focus

Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 years ago.

Halfshaft LH

Removal

1. NOTE: Use an Allen key to prevent the piston from rotating.

Loosen the left-hand suspension strut lock nut five turns.

1. Loosen the nuts.
  1. Wheel nuts
  2. hub nut
  3. Raise and support the vehicle.
  4. Remove the left-hand wheel.
  5. CAUTION: Protect the ball joint seat using a soft cloth to prevent damages Detach the left-hand lower arm.

1. Remove the bolt.
  2. Detach the lower arm ball joint.
  1. CAUTION : The hub nut can be re-used four times; mark the nut.

Detach the left-hand drive halfshaft from the wheel hub.

• Unscrew and remove the hub nut and press out the halfshaft stub from the wheel hub using, a commercially available puller.
  1. CAUTION: To avoid damage to the halfshaft joint and boot, the inner halfshaft joint must not be bent by more than 18 degrees. NOTE: Allow the oil to drain into a suitable container.

Remove the left-hand front drive halfshaft from the transaxle (iB5 transaxle).

• Close off the transaxle with Auxiliary plugs.
  1. CAUTION: The inner joint must not be bent at more than 18 degrees. NOTE: Escaping oil.

Remove the left-hand drive halfshaft from the transaxle (MTX 75 manual transaxle and FN automatic transaxle).

• Close off the transaxle opening with an auxiliary plug.

Installation

1. General note.
    • Install the new self locking nuts and snap ring.

CAUTION: To avoid damage to the halfshaft joint and boot, the inner halfshaft joint must not be bent by more than 18 degrees.

CAUTION: Do not damage the oil seal when inserting the front drive halfshaft. In the case of the iB5 transaxle, use an installation sleeve (supplied with each new oil seal).

1. NOTE: Make sure the snap ring is fully engaged, by pulling on the joint housing. NOTE: Remove the auxiliary plug from the transaxle opening. Install the left-hand drive halfshaft and snap ring into the transaxle.
  2. CAUTION: The hub nut can be reused four times. Check the marking on the nut and install a new nut if necessary.

Using the special tool, install the left-hand halfshaft stub into the wheel hub.

• Install on the hub nut.
  1. Check the transmission fluid level.

1. Attach the left-hand lower arm.
  1. Attach the lower arm bolt joint.
  2. Install the bolt.
  1. Install the wheel.
  2. Lower the vehicle.

1. NOTE: Use a 32 mm socket wrench. Tighten the hub nut.

1. Tighten the wheel nuts.

1. NOTE: Use an Allen key to prevent the piston rod from rotating. Tighten the left-hand suspension strut nut (right-hand side shown).

1. Tighten the left-hand strut nut.
  2. Standard finishing operations.
    • Road test the vehicle.
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field