Don
Don, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  ASE Master certified, Ford Senior Master, 20 year experience
14629033

2003 Ford Explorer: power windows..Ive replaced the 30A fuse (#62)

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer EB edit. All of sudden ALL 4 power windows stop working in the closed position. I've replaced the 30A fuse (#62) and replaced the driver master switch. I've checked all the fuses in cab area, all tested fine. The day it stopped working it was raining. Is there another fuse or relay that I should check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomermy name is XXXXX XXXXX you replaced the switch did you check for power at the switch
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No.. I did not check the power at the switch.. I don't have access to a volt meter

Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
Ok there are 3 fuses and 1 relay that control the windows. the master switch powers the other 3 windows. 2 fuse under the hood f1.6 60 amp fuse and f1.47 a 30 amp. 1 under the dash f2.17 15 amp. and the accessory delay relay
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've also replaced both under the hood fuses. Position#3 60A* which also controls the sun-roof and radio? These still work. I've also replaced the Position #62 30A** CB (circuit breaker fuse) with just a 30A fuse (not sure if it is special in that it was labeled with a CB). The under the dash f2.17 15A checked fine. I don't think that either power master switch is bad. Where is this accessory delay relay?
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
the 30 amp circuit breaker needs to be put back in if it is good. the accessory delay relay is on the back of the fuse panel under the dash.. there are 5 connectors on the back of the fuse panel the relay is the big one closest to the connectors
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Don. I think the accessory delay relay is the problem. Reading the user manual it is #3. It also recommends to see your dealer or certified professional for service of this relay box. This box is under the dash and isn't very accessable. Do I really need to see a dealer? Do you know what tools I can use to remove this fuse/relay panel or cover to gain access to the fuse? It appears it needs a screwdriver? I need the part number to purchase a replacement.
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
no you do not need to see a dealer to replace the relay. it just unplugs and you plug the new one in. if you pull the relay out and take it with you to the dealer they can match the numbers. just unscrew the screws in the front of the fuse panel and it will lift up and you can move it to see the back with out unpluging it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

After purchasing a replacement relay from NAPA, the relay didn't fit. It was about 1/8 inch bigger. However, it did have the same number of terminals and layout. I returned that and purchased the relay from a Ford dealership. I installed that and still no power windows. Both moon roof and radio/CD player still work. So far I've replaced the under the hood fuses and the under then dash fuse and now relay (#3). I read somewhere online that the batter saver relay (#5) could be bad? Any suggestions on my next step would be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
do you have access to a test light
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Nope. Can I rig one up with one of those big flash lights from the hardware store / Menard's? Are you suggesting that I run a light test along the BK/BL (+) to the BK ground (-) at the driver door master switch?

Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
yes if you had a test light we could follow the power until it stop then we would know where the problem is. auto zone or any parts store has them for only a few dollars
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. I will stop by Autozone, pick that up, and give that a try as I need to stop by there to get some R-134a freon. Cool It's going to be almost in the 90's this weekend and with no windows and only sunroof, I'm going to lose about 20lbs this weekend. The saga continues, stay tuned.
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
the reason that we need to check power is the could be a broken wire where they go through the body to the door and with out checking power we will never find it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I stopped at Advance Auto Parts and picked up a volt & ohm meter. Removed the molding to the power switch. Removed the main window controller connector and probed the LB/BK and BK pins. No voltage. Tried with window lock out in both positions.
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
Ok we need to start at the fuse panel under the hood. Pull the 30 amp circuit breaker and check both sides for power
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Completed. I tested flashlight batter first. Pulled under the hood 30A CB and started the car. Moon roof and radio stopped functioning. Probed and meter read +13.9V.
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
ok now you need to pull the accessory relay and check the pins in the fuse panel for power 2 of the pins should have power. you do not need to start the truck just turn the key on
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the quick response. I actually replaced the accessory relay with the fuse panel still partially connected under the dash. Needed to get my hands up there over to the back and wiggle the #3 delay accessory relay until I was able to pull it out. This relay is not the largest one, but it does have the terminal 30 & 85, 86, 87 & 87a labeled so I'm fairly certain it the correct relay. It's was a pain just to do this. If I need to probe the terminals I'll need to see them so I guss I'll need to find a way to pull it down. There are many wires down there with 2 large connectors. This is going to take some time. Are you certain there isn't a GEM or battery saver (relay #5) that could be faulty? I am putting 30A CB back.

Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
the windows do not run through the gem or the battery saver relay just the accessory delay relay