Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

P0012 code ford f 15o 5.4 v8 camshaft sensor ?

Customer Question

p0012 code ford f 15o 5.4 v8 camshaft sensor ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
What year is this F150? What have you done at this point to correct this problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello, 2004 ford F 150 5.4v super crew..

Mechanics have changed the Trotle Body, ran good for about 7 days then replaced some PCV Valve did do nothing... ( changed the oil they thought it had something to do with the oil ) nothing.. idles ruff shakes idle is about 55oo rpm.... they also said they checked for vacum leaks none....

p0012 code refers to some kinda camshaft senosr..?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

some one told me to try seafoam some kinda cleaner put it down thortle body, engine.. gas.. have u ever heard of seafoam cleaner ?

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

This is not a problem with the camshaft position sensor. This engine has variable valve timing which is controlled by the powetrain control module. The most common cause for this problem is the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) valve solenoid. This solenoids job is to open and close to allow for the engine oil to retard the camshaft as needed. If this solenoid sticks open, you will find that this trouble code is generated as the camshaft on bank one is over retarded. Here is a definition of this trouble code so that you can better understand its meaning. There is also a list of things that could possibly cause for this problem.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

you know by lookin now at the invoice it was VCT solenoid ( i put down PCV ) they replaced...... what else could it be.... ?

could this poo12 code be associated with ruff idle... or its 2 different things...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

any other thoughts ? besides what the service manual states...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hello, should i just go to sleep.... maybe your in east coast might be late..

should we continue discussion tomorow ?

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Well honestly this could be an oil flow problem if the original valve was plugged with debris. If there was a build up of oil or anything of that nature, I would really recommend taking the new unit off to verify that this is all clean at this point. There is a chance that this could also be caused by a faulty camshaft positioning actuator on the camshaft itself. If this is binding in any manner, it would allow for the cam to be stuck in a retard position. Sorry for the delay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Camshaft positioning actuator.. where is it located...? can it be easily replaced ?

thanks

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
This item is actually located on the end of the camshaft itself. This is not a repair that is easily done as you would need to remove the valve cover, timing chain, and the actuator itself. This is not a quick repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would that cause also ruff idle ?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
This certainly would cause for that also. This problem basically is adjusting timing for a complete bank of cylinder that it not matching the other side.