Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

1996 Ford Probe GT: that will not shift into 3rd..else wrong..clutches

I have a 1996 Ford Probe GT that will not shift into 3rd. I replaced it with a 1994 Probe Transmission, and it had the same problem. Could there be something else wrong with it besides the bands and /or clutches. It's an Automatic Transmission.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
which trans do you have the 4EAT or CD4E?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
All I know is it has a 2.5 LTR V-6. Stamp on transmission says FU9B.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

When you swapped the trans did you swap the trans range sensors also?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would they have come with a rebuilt transmission? Otherwise no, I just unbolted the trans and replaced it. Where are the sensors located?
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Some remans come with it others dont. The sensor is located on theh transmission were the shift linkage is and when you change gears the sensor tells the computer what gear you need. If they short out than they can lose gears.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if the sensor was bad, it would cause the new 1994 Tranny to do the same thing? I guess what I am asking, is, Will a 1994 Automatic Probe GT, 1995 Automatic Probe GT tranny work in the 1996 Automatic Probe GT?
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
The transmissions will bolt up but the computer should be different for the 96. The 96 will run what is called OBDII while the 94 uses OBDI. I will opt out and see if any other experts have ran into this concern.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So in your opinion, it could be the trans computer? Is that the same as the Trans. Range Sensor?
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
No the trans computer is the vehicle computer and if you put the 94 sensor on the 96 than you may not be reading it properly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just plugged the 96 sensor into the 94 trans. and it shifted the same way, no 3 rd gear. leading me to believe that the 96 trans. was NOT bad.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

Do you have the sensor from the 94 to try on the 96?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. The trans that was shipped was supposed to be a 1996, but ended up being a 94. I could get a sensor from a 94 to try on the 96 if the computer is compadable? What should I do? I have a 1994 trans in the car now, no 3rd, and the orginal 96 trans out of the car with no 3rd.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Did the new trans come with the new sensor or did you swap them over from the old trans?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I just plugged the old 96 sensor into the 94 trans.
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.

According to the Motorcraft website they are the same transmission so as far as the trans being wrong you are ok. But if the new trans did not come with the sensor i would get a sensor and try that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I should get a new 1994 trans sensor for the 96 Probe? Will the 94 sensor plug in to the
96 computer?
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
I would get a 96 sensor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So the 96 sensor WILL work on the 94 trans?
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
The trans are the same but the sensors are probably different.The sensor will bolt up no problem.
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified