Don, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  ASE Master certified, Ford Senior Master, 20 year experience

2001 E150 4.6l with automatic overdrive transmission..pulling

2001 E150 4.6l with automatic overdrive transmission. In overdrive pulling small grade there is what feels like a subtle miss-fire or stumble.   Previously had number 3 cyl. miss-fire code. Installed new COP and injector. No more code. The problem is some what intermittent. What do you think?

hi farmer my name is XXXXX XXXXX many miles are on your van.

Just a reminder this is a pay for answer sight if you have not made a deposit you will not be able to see my answer and hit the accept botton when we are done

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Don,

120,000 miles. This is my first experience on a site like this. I am glad to pay but apprehensive about scams. Let me study this more.
have you had replaced the spark plugs in the van
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok this is how the site works. I will ask you questions and help you figure out the most likely problem with your van. at the end you will have to have a deposit to see my answer. but you still have the choise to accept my answer or ask another expert or opt out of the question and not pay. the experts here most are seinor techs at dealers or have many years and tech. we use manuals and experance to figure out your problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. Lets give it a try.

other then the plugs, 1 coil and injector. what else have you done.

is the check engine light on

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I changed all the plugs. Replaced three COPs. The two others had cracked boots. Cleaned mass airflow sensor. Had local mechanic drive van with diagnostic computer hooked up to it. No indication of miss-fire detected but we could feel the stumble/miss. The problem happens most of the time I drive the van but occasionally it does not happen.

what speeds and gears do you feel this in

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Between 40 and 60 mph. Only in overdrive.
Have you had the transmission flushed
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. The fluid looks good on the dip stick though.
at the speed and gear that this is happening, there are 2 thing that could cause this another coil that is starting to go bad or the torque converter in the trans. there is a clutch in the front of the converter that can slip slightly causing it to feel like a miss. you can watch the converter on the scanner to see if it is slipping
If you have any other questions or want further detail just ask me on this question
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the problem was another COP I should get another code. right?
not always the coil has to miss 33% of the time to set a code. if it only missing 25% it will not set the code
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You asked me if I had the transmission flushed. Why did you ask?
Sometime a flush will take care of a slipping converter but only for a short time it will come back if it is slipping. Please leave feedback for me if I have helped Thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You have helped. I worked you pretty hard. But that is what farmers do. I appriciate your patience and attention.
If you do have any more question about this the question will remain open for several days just repost to this question and I will be glad to help