lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2006 ford f150: accelerate..ticking..clicking noise..my passenger side

I have a 2006 ford f150 and about a week ago when I started my truck and when I accelerate I hear what sounds like a ticking or clicking noise near my passenger side of the engine. Any ideas to what that may be and how costly a fix to my would be. Thank you for your time, Sincerley Kevin

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?
-Does the noise only happen when accelerating?

-Can you be more specific on where the noise is in the engine area?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have about 72,000 miles on my truck, I have a 5.4L V 8 engine. I have not tried anything yet because of time and money constraints, but the noise seems very loud when it is first started in the morning and then it seems to quiet down unless I'm accelerating. I'm sorry but Icould not pinpoint the noise but it is louder on the passenger side. I hope that helps out.

Thank you for the reply, They have been having some problems with the hydraulic lash adjusters on the 2006 5.4ltr engines according to the engine build dates and from your description thats what it sounds like, here is a copy of the service bulletin for the concern, check the build date on the timing cover for your engine to see if it in the time range, its only covered under the limited vehicle warrenty coverage and an extended service contract if you have one, the cost will be hard to say depending on how many lash adjusters need to be replaced and if they are on both sides, if on both sides its about 8.5 hours at the labor rate for your area plus parts.

TSB
06-9-11
  • LOUD TICKING NOISE - 3-VALVE ENGINES - STUCK LASH ADJUSTER
Publication Date: May 1, 2006

FORD:2006 Mustang, Expedition, Explorer, F-150, F-250, F-350
LINCOLN:2006 Mark LT, Navigator
MERCURY:2006 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

Some vehicles equipped with 4.6L, 5.4L, and 6.8L 3-valve engines built between 1/11/2006 and 2/14/2006 may exhibit a loud ticking noise in the valve train area. This may be caused by a stuck/collapsed lash adjuster.

ACTION:

Verify engine build date, isolate, and replace any stuck/collapsed lash adjuster by following the Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Check date code on the engine, located on the engine timing cover.
    1. Date code between 1/11/2006 and 2/14/2006, proceed to Step 2.
    2. Date code NOT between 1/11/2006 and 2/14/2006, this TSB does not apply, perform normal diagnostics.
  2. Isolate the source of the noise to the cam cover on either Bank 1 or Bank 2. If the noise is not isolated to either cam cover, this TSB does not apply. Follow normal Workshop Manual (WSM) procedures for additional diagnostics.
  3. Remove the appropriate cam cover.
  4. Check for stuck/collapsed lash adjuster(s) by placing the cam lobe on the base circle and inspecting for loose cam followers as a result of the lash adjuster plunger being bottomed out.

NOTE:A COLLAPSED LASH ADJUSTER WILL RESULT IN EXCESSIVE CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE LASH ADJUSTER AND THE CAM FOLLOWER.

NOTE:WHEN CHECKING "3V" LASH ADJUSTERS - A "SPONGY" LASH ADJUSTER IS NORMAL WHEN OIL PRESSURE IS "NOT" APPLIED.

5. Replace only the affected lash adjuster(s) on the affected bank(s) following the procedures outlined in the appropriate WSM, Section 303.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
5L1Z-6500-AAdjuster Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

Click ACCEPT for the Answer and Please leave a FEEDBACK!!!.