John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

What would cause misfire on no.4 cylinder on my 98 ford ranger 4.

what would cause misfire on no.4 cylinder on my 98 ford ranger 4.0 v6
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accruately.

Is this a skip that occours all the time or is it just under load? How do you know it is number 4, did you check the codes? What was the code? Were there any other codes?

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the scan tool at advanced autoparts told me it was the no.4 the skip just started yesterday when i started the truck the idle was rough while driving the truck skips upon excelleration like if i let off the gas and then reapply the gas it skips i hope this helps
Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.

Most of the time when you have a skip on these trucks it is caused by either a bad plug, wire or coil. It can also be caused by an injector but this is rare. Being your truck is 11 yrs old it would be a good idea to do a tune up any way. Start with plugs and wires, if it still skips replace the coil. Worn plugs and wires are what causes the coil to go bad anyway. If it still skips replace the injector. But like I said, this is uncommon.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks , ireplaced the plugs and wires aprox 6months or 1500 miles ago i checked the plug and its clean and dry so do you think the coil would be the next step?
Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.
yes, i do.