Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2002 ford expedition 4.6 High Idle

Customer Question

My 2002 Ford Expedition 4.6 has extremely high idle. I replaced the transmiassion 20 thousand miles ago. Brand new trans. It now idles at 1000 RPM in park. It idles atXXXXXwith foot on brake. When I start it the RPM jumps to 3000. When I am driving with foot on gas pedal it is 1500 to 2000 RPM. When I let off gas it stays at 1500 it feels like it pulling it self. I replaced TPS today it is still doing it. I replaced Idle air control sensor 4 months ago. I also had throttle body cleaned. I had ford dealer clean injectors less than 1 week ago. The reason transmission was replaced is the idle was fluctuating because tork converter wasnt unlokcink or something like that thios was at the dealer as well. The Trans is brand new 100,000 mile warranty.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

Hello Chrisie,

Thanks for logging on and asking your question here at Just Answer I,m Chris.

Lets do a throttle body cleaning by using a tooth brush and carb cleaner while holding the throttle wide open with the vehicle off. Now pull the negative battery cable for 10 minutes to give the computer a reset. If it still does this then you have yet another faulty idle air control valve or a concern with a PCV hose or vacuum hose leaking allowing air to enter the intake from a source other than the air filter. Common vacuum leaks occur around the passenger valve cover area. You can also find leaks by idleing the engine and spraying shorts bursts of the carb cleaner around the intake and vacuum hoses. When a leak is hit the idle will increase.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had throttle body cleaned 3 months ago. I do have a rotting or close to it pcv hose. I will try the battery disconnect really quick as well thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where is pcv valve located?
There are 2 PCV hoses and there should be only one PCV valve. Both come out of the center area of the leaft and right valve covers.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my husband is cleaning the throttle body right now. is there anything besides carb cleaner that we could use. It looks pretty dirty makes me wonder if they really cleaned it when I paid them 3 months ago.
Carb cleaner or brake cleaner works about the same.