Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech

i have a 2006 ford f350 6.0 diesel and it has a miss or hesitation

i have a 2006 ford f350 6.0 diesel and it has a miss or hesitation at around 1800-2200 rpm. it does it when sitting in park a little but worse with a slight load in any gear going down the road, slight pressure on the trottle. it has 42000 miles. has a new egr valve. took it to the dealer and it has no codes or engine light. they said every thing checks good and can,t find anything wrong. it feels like water in the fuel but only at 1800-2200rpm. and if you hold it at say 2000rpm and floor it, it hesitates on accelaration. what do you think?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.

Hello i hope i can help you with your problem. It sounds like a miss. Have you replaced fuel filters? Check and see if there is an update for your computer at the Ford store.If not its either a fuel pump or a bad injector. I hope this helps.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
changed fuel filters and the dealer updated the computer and siad the injecters were all checking to be good on the diagnostic computer have not checked fuel pressure but it pulls good under a heavey load with no miss
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.

This does sound like a fuel issue. I would recommend doing a fuel pressure test. Also making sure that there is no restricition in the fuel lines. Also i would do a power balance on the injectors.The dealership might have only did a injector buzz test. Make sure they do it under a load. I hope this helps.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if the fuel pressure was low would it pull under a heavy load? could the turbow cause this?
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.
When you hold it around 2000 rpm and floor it does black smoke come out the exhaust?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes a little bit
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.
Ok when did you have the egr valve replaced? and also how hard do you drive it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
egr was replaced about a 2 weeks ago and i have been driving it to floor. the dealer told me to drive it hard . i also ran ford fuel aditive and cleaner and no change
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Sorry about the other answers, these trucks are hard to figure out sometimes. It is very possible that you still have carbon build up.The turbo vanes could be sticking a little to cause the problem. They get sutted up alot. I would recommend trying a different diesel station first. Keep driving it hard. and keep using the ford fuel additive. Hopefully they will loosing up if not the turbo will have to be dissasembled and cleaned.But it will not hurt to drive it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what about a overhead flush? the dealer siad i could do that but i would have to pay for it. can i take the hose off and spray some kind of cleaner in it and should the vanes spin free?
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.
I have never heard of a overhead flush. I would not spray any kind of cleaner in the turbo. It can damage it. I have always taken the turbo apart, cleaned it with a wire brush. and reassemble it with anti-seize.But if its a ford dealer and they have this flush and stand behind it, i would try it. but if its under warrenty they should clean the turbo and not a flush.
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech