fix that car
fix that car, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ten years working on ford cars and trucks

Where is the starter interrupt relay on a 1995 Ford Ranger 3.0L

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The 1995 Ford Ranger has no interupt relay. What type of problem are you having?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I get an image of the FORD electrical diagram to you?

The diagram shows a "Starter interrupt relay" between on/off inigition switch and the starter relay (which is mounted on the left fender well). I can start the truck by crossing the starter relay lugs with a screw drive when the inigition switch is in the on position. The truck will not crack just via the ignition switch.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

You can use the Picture to send to send a picture.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Ok , you must have anti theft so here is what you need. You diagram clears things up.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the anti-theft "personality" module, meaning what is the personality part of the anti-theft and how do you set/control that?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

You do not set it, it the anti theft modual.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Since the instrument panel lights, flasher lights and front and back direction signals all start to flashing sometimes(without the emergency flaser set), is my problem with starting the truck related to a bad anti-theft module or the starter interrupt relay? I have already replaced the starter relay.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

It could very well be the RAPS modual setting a false code allowing the alarm to set in the anti theft mode.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What does RAPS stand for and where is it?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

The Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) Module controls the anti-theft protection system.

The RAP module monitors switches located throughout vehicle and if triggered, sounds horns and flashes parking lamps at an intermittent rate.

It disables the starting system until the anti-theft system is disarmed.

The Remote Anti-Theft Personality Module is located at the LH rear corner of the cab.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I assume that both the starter interrupt relay and the RAPS module are replaceable, but based on what I have said where do I start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and what causes the RAP to since a theft?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Im not sure where you would start. I will opt out and maybe another expert will have the answer you need.

Expert:  fix that car replied 5 years ago.

hiCustomer

since the other expert has opted out I will assist you.

here is the test for the no start and triggering alarms.graphicgraphic

if you have a manuale tranny here is the location of the clutch postion switch.graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you have layout of the "Relay Box #1" located under the dash, just to the left of th AC/Radio? If you could put that image up I would appericate it! Thanks
I will check in the morning and see if I can find one.