Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

how to adjust the clutch of ford L8000 dump truck

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.

What year is your truck?

What engine is in it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a 1988 Ford L8000 diesel mortor is 240
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
Section 08-00: Clutch System, Service1998 F and B-Series Workshop Manual
ADJUSTMENTSProcedure revision date: 03/03/2000

Clutch Adjustment Procedures

Various service tips have been developed to help the heavy truck service technician troubleshoot and adjust Spicer stamped angle-spring clutches. These include:

• recognizing symptoms of potential concerns
  • inspecting and checking the affected clutch components
  • determining which clutch parts actually require replacement
  • adjusting procedures for synchronized and non-synchronized transmissions

If service is required, use the following service procedure to adjust and check the clutch components.

330-mm (13-Inch) Clutch with Gasoline Engine

The 330-mm (13-inch) clutch is adjusted through the clutch linkage. Refer to Section 08-02. If the clutch is not releasing properly, the clutch may need to be replaced. Refer to Section 08-01.

Stamped Angle-Spring Clutch, Ford Diesel Engines, Spicer 356-mm (14-Inch) Single and Double Disc with Adjustment-Free Clutch

No adjustment is needed for this type of clutch. As the clutch wears, the internal self-adjuster will automatically adjust for free play and travel.

If the clutch is not releasing properly, the clutch assembly may need to be replaced. Refer to Section 08-01. After replacement of the clutch, actuate the clutch by pushing the pedal all the way to the floor five to ten times. This will set the release bearing gap to specification of 12.7-14.2 mm (0.500-0.560 inch). Set free play (initially after replacement) by adjusting the clutch linkage. Refer to Section 08-02.

Stamped Angle-Spring Clutch, Ford Diesel Engines, Spicer 356-mm (14-Inch) Single and Double Disc with Kwik-Adjust Adjustment

Non-Synchronized Transmissions

1. Adjust the external linkage rod so that the clutch brake squeeze begins about 12.7-33 mm (0.5-1.3 inch) from the end of the pedal stroke.

1. Check the adjustment results by placing a business card (or similar device) behind the clutch release bearing and depressing the clutch pedal. The card should be held tight.

1. Release the clutch pedal. See if the card slips out when the pedal is approximately 12.7-33 mm (0.5-1.3 inch) from the end of the pedal stroke.

Clutch Free Travel

The linkage should not be adjusted to compensate for clutch face wear. Linkage should only be reset to provide proper pedal free play upon installation of a new clutch and not every time clutch is adjusted internally. If linkage is adjusted for proper pedal free play, it should be done after specified bearing release travel is obtained. For proper linkage settings refer to Section 08-02.

Non-Synchronized Transmission

1. Adjust the clutch internally to get about 38.1 mm (1.3 inch) free play at the top of the stroke or 3.2 mm (.126 inch) pedal between yoke and wear pads and 12.7-14.2 mm (0.500-0.560 inch) release bearing travel as shown below.

1. Adjust the clutch assembly by rotating the engine flywheel until the Kwik-Adjust adjustment bolt is exposed.

1. Hold or block the clutch pedal in the released position.

1. Use a 5/8 (6 point) socket. Apply an inward pressure on Kwik-Adjust bolt (hex-head). A clockwise adjustment will move release bearing housing toward the transmission, a counterclockwise adjustment will move release bearing housing toward the flywheel. Rotation will move the release bearing approximately 0.51 mm (0.020 inch).

1. After final adjustment is made, align the adjustment to the nearest edge, allowing the Kwik-Adjust bolt to disengage by returning to an outward position.

1. Check the distance from the clutch release bearing to the clutch brake. There must be 12.7-14.2 mm (0.500-0.560 inch) minimum movement of the release bearing for proper clutch release. Adjust the clutch internally to obtain this.

For

• Cummins B5.9 and C8.3 Diesel 12.7-14.2 mm (0.500-0.560 inch)
  1. Whenever clutch pedal free play becomes 12.7 mm (0.5 inch) or less, readjustment is recommended.

Synchronized Transmissions

1. Check measurement with clutch pedal up.

1. Use the Kwik-Adjust bolt to set minimum release travel on clutches.

1. NOTE: The 47.625 mm (1.875 inch) and 19.05 mm (0.75 inch) measurements are for reference only. The most accurate measurement for the minimum release travel is the 12.7 mm (0.5 inch) measurement between the input shaft cover and the release bearing with the clutch release lever tight against wear pads.

To set a 12.7-14.2 mm (0.500-0.560 inch) minimum release travel proceed as follows:

1. With pedal depressed, turn the Kwik-Adjust bolt to obtain about a 12.7 mm (0.5 inch) gap minimum between input shaft cover and release bearing (with free play removed) as shown for the respective single and two-plate clutches.
    1. Turn the adjusting ring clockwise to move the release bearing toward the transmission.
    1. Turn the adjusting ring counterclockwise to move the release bearing toward the engine.
  1. To set 3.2 mm (0.126 inch) dimension as shown, proceed as follows:

1. Adjust the external linkage by shortening or lengthening to obtain 3.2 mm (0.126 inch) between the release lever and the wear pads on the release bearing housing. Refer to Section 08-02 for adjustments.
    1. Check to see that this adjustment provides approximately 28-38 mm (1.1-1.5 inch) of free travel at the pedal.
    1. Tighten all lock nuts.

Clutch and Driven Disc Check

1. Adjust the clutch so that there is no free travel.

1. NOTE: Do not adjust linkage.

Turn the adjusting bolt counterclockwise to increase release bearing travel.

• This will create additional release bearing travel.
    • It will increase the internal pressure plate travel.
  1. Test drive and determine if the release of the clutch has been affected.

1. If the release has improved, replace the driven discs only. Refer to Section 08-01 to replace discs.

1. Readjust the clutch after replacing the discs.

Clutch Brake Check (Non-Synchronized Transmissions)

1. Clamp the clutch brake, on the outside diameter, in a vise.

1. Slide a modified input shaft (a cut input shaft with a nut welded on it to accommodate a torque wrench) through the clutch brake.

1. Connect the torque wrench to the nut and rotate two half turns. Take note of the torque reading.

1. The torque should not read lower than 16.3 Nm (12 lb-ft).

1. If the reading is higher than 16.3 Nm (12 lb-ft), reuse the brake.
    1. If lower, replace it.
    1. If the reading is more than 47.5 Nm (35 lb-ft), replace the clutch brake to eliminate the possibility of tang breakage.

Clutch Release Bearing Adjustment

1. Set the gap between the release bearing and the front cover of the input shaft (synchronized transmissions) or the clutch brake (non-synchronized transmissions) to 13.7-14.2 mm (0.500-0.560 inch).

1. Rotate the engine flywheel until the Kwik-Adjust bolt is exposed.

1. Release the clutch by holding the clutch pedal in the depressed position.

1. Remove the free play from the clutch linkage by holding the release lever against the wear pads of the release bearing.

1. Check the distance as described in Step 1 of this procedure. If adjustment is necessary, engage the Kwik-Adjust bolt and adjust until desired setting is reached. Counterclockwise rotation of the Kwik-Adjust bolt will move the release bearing towards the flywheel. A clockwise rotation will move the release bearing away from the flywheel.

1. Disengage the Kwik-Adjust bolt, engage the clutch and recheck as outlined in Step 1 of this procedure.

Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience: 30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how come I can not open any images
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

how come I can not open any images is there a way you can send me a full view image of the clutch adjustment it would be helpful maybe by a pdf file . and I want to thank you for your help it is very usefull my email is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX . your help is well worth the $15 hope it all goes to you

Regards bear

Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.

I will try again.

Clutch Adjustment Procedures

Non-Synchronized Transmissions

Clutch Free Travel

Non-Synchronized Transmission

For

Synchronized Transmissions

1. Tighten all lock nuts.

Clutch and Driven Disc Check

1. NOTE: Do not adjust linkage.

1. If lower, replace it.

Clutch Release Bearing Adjustment