fordman312009
fordman312009, Ford Technician
Experience:  all ford training done asset grad.
17025784

1996 F350: If a clutch..quits working..slave cylinder..master cylinder

If a clutch in a 1996 F350 quits working...how do you know if it's the slave cylinder or the master cylinder?
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordman312009 replied 8 years ago.
hey man i got you the only steps ford offers us for this concern i hope it works out and please let me know if you need anything else and please leave me feedback and i'll do the same for you thanks and good luck

Cylinder, Clutch Slave
Clean all of the clutch slave cylinder components.
Check the clutch slave cylinder for the following:

weak spring
worn or damaged piston cup
worn or damaged boot
worn or bent push rod
leaking fluid
Check for traces of fluid inside the clutch housing portion of the case (7005). If fluid is visible, replace clutch slave cylinder. Refer to Section 08-02.

(this is the step for the master cylinder)

Clutch Master Cylinder
CAUTION: Clean all rubber clutch master cylinder parts with specified clutch fluid.

Clean all of the clutch master cylinder components.

Check the clutch master cylinder (7A543) for the following conditions:

weak spring
damage to any reservoir components
damaged cups
scored piston

(thats a adjustment for the master cylinder)

Clutch Master Cylinder Push Rod Adjustment

To determine if the clutch master cylinder push rod and clutch master cylinder lever pin are in the correct relationship, disconnect the push rod and note if it will reassemble to the pin. When the push rod is disconnected from the pin, the clutch master cylinder piston is fully retracted rearward and the clutch pedal blade is contacting the rubber bumper UP stop.

If the two components are not in alignment, perform the following only in this sequence:

Tighten left side clutch pedal attaching nut.

Install clutch master cylinder push rod to the clutch push rod bracket pin.

NOTE: This step is mandatory.

Stroke clutch pedal (7519) several times to reset position of shaft to pedal slot.

Again, remove the clutch master cylinder push rod from clutch master cylinder lever pin and evaluate alignment. If the two components are still not in alignment, replace the clutch push rod lever. If the push rod is aligned with the pin, no further action is required.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was looking for a more direct answer about the slave cylinder versus the master cylinder and how I can tell which one has gone out. Are there any tricks to figuring this out before I tear into it?
That's the exact test we have to use man usually there leaking but from past experience the slaves more likely to be the cause but that's as direct as I can be with out lieing to you bud