A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Where is the catch on the back hatch handle for a Ford Explorer

Where is the "catch" on the back hatch handle for a Ford Explorer xlt, mine has come loose, and I can't find the piece that attaches it to the latch so it will open the back door hatch. The window part still works, but not the handle for the bottom half.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer xls, I have popped the hard plastic interior cover off of the inside of the hatch, I can see the latch, however, I can't see what was attaching it to the lock/unlock part of the latch. There doesn't seem to be anything loose, laying down in the bottom of the panel. Is there a diagam or something I could get to "see" what was hooking it together? any suggestions?

Once you have the cover off, there should be a rectangular black panel with push pins in to, remove it.

The rods for the left and right latches are in the center near the handle. Open the clicks holding the 2 latch rods.

Then you can pull the rods towards the center to open the hatch.

This will make it easier to work on when open.

The actuator is bolted down to the hatch.

The lock rod for the key lock is also accessible here in this diagram. Disconnect it.

The latches can be unbolted once the hatch is open.

If you have any more questions or ned more help, just ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, but the handle for the latch is just loose. It doesn't pull on anything, and won't open the hatch. Whatever was releasing the door with the handle, has come off, and there is no tension on it. That is what I need to figure out, what was the handle attached to that made it open the door.

The outside handle is bolted through the door to the inside metal mechanism that holds the 2 horizontal rods that go to the left and right side latches that release the hatch so it will open.A rod from the outside handle goes down to the inside mechanism to move the 2 horizontal rods to open the latches. See if there is a rod from the outside hanlde to the inside mechanism. I have a odd picture that shows the rod. It's not hte best, XXXXX XXXXX only one Ford has.

Add this is the mechanism it acutates.