John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2000 Explorer: rear door..Depressing..unlock..the door lock

Can not open either rear door - 2000 Explorer. Depressing the door unlock makes a sound of a motor trying to work but the door lock do not move. The door handles do not function to open the doors. Hope you can help - Steve
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accruately.

sounds like you either have sticking latches or seized door lock actuators. Best way to get this fixed is to take to a body shop. Body techs have alot of experience with these problems. First a tech will need to remove the door panels and then they will have to try to manually release the latch. Once that is done the problem can be found.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have the door panel off and have tried to move the manual door lever (from the handle). How do I manually release the door latch?
Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.
try to concentrate on moving the lock rod. the problem is the latch is stuck in the locked position. once unlocked you should be able to open the door.