Keith Wayne
Keith Wayne, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years in Field. Ford Engine Master, Chassis Master, and Diesel Specialist

2005 Ford Escape: heated seats..Fuses/breakers are fine..modules

Customer Question

Both heated seats in my 2005 Ford Escape do not work. Fuses/breakers are fine. Both heat modules bad?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Keith Wayne replied 7 years ago.

Rich, Thanks for your question on Just Answer. It is unlikely that both modules went at at same time. The system is pretty simple. There are some preliminary check to make, some you may have done already, and some maybe not. The system is run off 2 fuses. One is in the fuse box under the hood. It is a 30 amp fuse in the #10 position. This is actually the power to the heating elements in the seat. Second is in the fuse pane inside, it's a 5 amp fuse #35, this supplies power to the relay. If both fuses are good, we need to look at the grounds. There are 2 under the drivers seat. check and make sure they are tight and clean. Then there is a relay under the seat that needs to be checked, if all the above are ok let me know and we will test a few more things before we condem the modules. Thanks in advance for your ACCEPT. Keith

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Grounds and fuses "OK". Where is/are the relay(s) under the seats and what do they look like? Thanks!

Relays are built into modules here are the wiring diagrams for the left and right seats

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One thing I found out is that the indicator light on each switch will come on momentarily but then go out. The ignition switch then has to be cycled to see these indicator lamps again.
Rich that sounds like a module failure, I am perplexed why both would fail at the same time, outside of haven gotten wet or something. The switch supplys a ground to the module and the module supplys 12 volts to the lights to indicate that the heating elements are energized. It might be worth having it scanned for body codes, not sure if the readers at Autozone, O'riellys and the like will scan body codes or not. I think thier equipment is basically for the Powertain Control module, but it would be worth a shot. Keith
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you know how much each of these modules cost? I might buy one if they are not too expensive. Thanks again!

Rich Hope i'm not too late. Finally got it. price is not as bad as would have thought. 105.33 and the part # XXXXX XXXXX Good luck and keep me posted. Keith