Steve Jensen
Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience
17024452

1995 f-350 overdrive light blinking and odometer code E 08

Customer Question

1995 f-350 overdrive light blinking and odometer code E 08 6
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve Jensen replied 5 years ago.

Does the speedometer work?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes when i turn they key on it goes all the way up and then comes back down

Does the speedometer read correctly while driving the truck? Also, if the truck is equipped with speed control, do you know whether it works?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no im sry just notice its not working at all the speedometer...not sure about the speed control what is this..is that a brake system?
By speed control, I am referring to the cruise control, if the truck is equipped with one. Is it working?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it has one but its not working
Did it stop working at the same time as the speedometer, or has it not been working for a while?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im not sure i just got the truck..so cant answer that

Okay, the most likely reason you have an OD indicator flashing at the same time that you have a non functioning speedometer is that the vehicle speed sensor signal is not getting to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) that controls transmission shifting. The vehicle speed sensor signal first goes to the instrument cluster, then to the PCM. The error code on the odometer most likely means that you have a failure in the electronic module in the instrument cluster. Before we fault the cluster, please check fuse #8 & #18 under the dash. Inspect the vehicle speed sensor, it is located on the top of the rear axle in the center (almost straight up from where the driveshaft goes in). Inspect the two wire connector and wiring for damage. The speed sensor can be tested with an ohmmeter if you have access to one. If in doubt, the speed sensor is inexpensive and easily replaced, it has one bolt holding it in and slips straight out. If the speed sensor and wiring are okay up to the instrument cluster, then the instrument cluster is at fault and will need to be replaced (a likely situation for this error code). It can only be replaced as an assembly as a remanufactured item, or perhaps a used one. Hope this answer is not too long, but want to cover as many bases as we can before blaming an expensive part.

Steve Jensen, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE Master Technician 33 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks so much for your help