John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

1999 Ford Windstar: ABS and traction control lights come..restarting

Customer Question

1999 Ford Windstar, ABS and traction control lights come after driving for a while. They shut off after restarting, but usually come back on some time later. Any ideas? Will the diagnostic readers at O'Reilly's and similar auto parts store diagnose an intermitent problem like this?

Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  robert baker replied 8 years ago.

replace the brake pressure deactivation switch (for the cruise control) this should solve your problem ...

There is a cruise control deactivation switch on Windstar that is being recalled in other Fords but not Windstar. They get really hot and can even cause a fire. If your's has never been replaced it is right under the master cylinder. Try unplugging it. If you take it out a little brake fluid will drip out the hole, so only do it if you have a new one. They are really cheap. It might still happen after you fix it though cuz the heat could have damaged a lot of sensitive electronics.

hope this has been helpful bonus always appreciated.please accept pay and feedback thank you god bless

If you have any other questions please ask if not please accept so i can get paid for the service i provided for you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I updated my post just after I initially sent it last night. Will the code readers at O'Reilly or Checker Auto parts read the codes for an intermitent problem like this?
Expert:  John Mc replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician. Robert isn't here right now so maybe I can help you.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accruately.

It really depends on the scan tool that the parts store has reads abs codes. If they do it should list a code pertaining to your problem. Even if the problem is intermittent it should still set a memory code to help with diagnosis. If they can't read it most independant shops and almost all Ford shops should be able to help you with this problem so you can have it repaired right the first time. If they can read the codes and you need further help let me know and we can go from there.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience: 19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience