rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  38 years experience
12769047

Engine sputters. No power going up hill. Sputters and loses power.

Customer Question

Engine sputters. No power going up hill. Sputters and loses power. Then one day loss more power and I belive that my rear tires spun out, like the engine shut down and started up again.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Customer

vehicle year, make, model, engine and what have you done so far?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ya, I screw that up.

Well it's a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge w/ 32,000.0 +/- miles on it.

I'm the second owner, purchased almost one year ago with only 26, 880.0 miles on it.

It's has a 3.0 v-6 engine.

Automatic with OD

It doesn't have the power when I go up a average hill. It's becomes Slugglish.

I have had it up to 89 mph on route 89 here in NH !!

And just on Monday, coming back from a trip. Everyone had to pass me instead of me passing them.

The ranger started sputtering while driving up a highway hill.

Then my rear tire kinda spun out like the engine failed and re-started. !?

Then it sputter again on the second part of the hill, and no power. I felt like it was going to die.

I made the trip home, about 80 miles. The ranger is ok on level highway and speeds up to 60-65 mph. But the hill thing is the issue.

Sitting idle, I can Rev up the engine...and it rev fine, then it sputters a bit, then Rev up again fine. On and On.

A friend suggest Fuel Injector Cleaner, but seeking info on the web says No don't do that cause the fuel today is suppose to be cleaner ?? I have done nothing yet.

PER THE SEARCH FOR A GOOD USE SMALL TRUCK Ford RANGER YEARS 2003 AND 2004 CAME UP. THE 2004 HAS TRANSMISSION ISSUES, AND THE 2003 has MINOR ENGINE ISSUES..... this must be it.

Thanks,

Marc

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 years ago.

Okay,

I would check fuel pressure/volume first. Then the ignition coil would be next on my list. I bet it's one of those two things.

Thanks in advance for your ACCEPT,