Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2003 Ford Taurus: depress..the gas pedal..alternator..starter

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus, it seems to have a hard time starting, it is worse if it has been sitting for a short time. (It make take two or three tries and I may have to depress the gas pedal to get it to start). I have had the complete test they do with the battery, alternator and starter and their computer (they did it with two) say all of those are ok. I recently (about 6 weeks ago) had a fuel system cleaning as well.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

So the engine cranks strong just will not start? Is the theft light flahsing rapidly when this happens? If you hold your foot on the gas will the engine start and run? Which engine is in your Taurus? DOHC or OHV?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No seems to crank weak, I have done the gas pedal thing a couple of times when it will not start on the first or second try. This last time after sitting about 10 minutes it took three tries, I pushed the pedal a bit and it took about 10 seconds.

I think it is an OHV
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

If it's cranking weak I suspect a bad battery. It may be weak or has a bad cell. As far as the extended cranking it may be a sticking idle air control valve or possibly a fuel pump. You can try tapping on the valve which sometimes will free it up.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The battery tested good. So where roughly where can I find this valve. I see the diagram just need to know where it relative to other stuff.

So reguardless this issue isn't something that would be huge...
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
It's located near the throttle. It will look similiar to the one in the pic and wil have a two wire connector on it.