Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers
13762030

I have a 2002 ford escort ZX2 4 cylinder, auto,air, vin #3fafp11382r156297.

I have a 2002 ford escort ZX2 4 cylinder, auto,air, vin #3fafp11382r156297. It dies when I take my foot off the gas, seems to run ok when the rpm's are up but as soon as I need to slow down for a stop sign it dies. It will idle in park but not in drive. any ideas? and what would it cost to fix, can I do the work?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Is your check engine light on?
-How many miles on your escort?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
73,000 miles, service engine soon light is on
The problem is most likely the IAC(idle air control) valve sticking. These are easy to replace and that is where I would start.
graphic
.
There is also a ford tsb(technical service bullitin) for a problem with the variable cam timing .You should have the system self tested for fault codes to determine the cause and see if they are related to the cam timing.
TSB 03-15-14

FORD:
1998-2000 CONTOUR
1998-2003 ESCORT ZX2
MERCURY:
1998-2000 MYSTIQUE
1999-2002 COUGAR

This article supersedes TSB's 98-9-8 and 99-10-5.

ISSUE:

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may be illuminated and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P1380, P1381, P1383, and/or P0340 may be stored in memory. The vehicle may also have a rough idle or reduced power condition, and/or may stall at an idle.

ACTION:

Refer to the following Service Information for diagnostic tips and repair procedures.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Inspect the following areas to help diagnose condition.

• Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) control system stuck with a machining chip
  • VCT hollow oil feed bolt being plugged with debris
  • A damaged Variable Camshaft tone ring
  • Incorrect base engine timing
  • On automatic transmission vehicles only, the flex-plate may be broken
  • Excessive crankshaft end-play
  • Mis-machined Cylinder Head

NOTE: PROCEED WITH THIS PROCEDURE ONLY IF DTCs P1381, P1383 OR P0340 ARE PRESENT IN KOER AND P1380 IS NOT PRESENT. IF P1380 IS PRESENT, REFER TO POWERTRAIN CONTROL/EMISSIONS DIAGNOSIS (PC/ED) SERVICE MANUAL.

NOTE: IF CODES P1380, P1381, OR P1383 ARE NOT PRESENT IN KOER, VCT AND VALVETRAIN COMPONENTS ARE FUNCTIONING AND ARE PROPERLY ADJUSTED. FAULT CANNOT BE DUPLICATED OR IDENTIFIED AT THIS TIME.

1. If DTC P1381 or P1383 is present in KOER, install 104-pin breakout box.
  2. Run engine to normal operating temperature. ECT/CHT = 190-240°F (87-115°C).
  3. Select and monitor Parameter Identification Displays (PID): NGS (PIDs) CAMERR, CAMDCR, RCAM, and RPM. WDS (PIDS) VCTADV, VCTADVERR, VCTDC, and RPM.
  4. Insert one end of a banana plug jumper into VCT Pin 44 (Pin 45 for vehicles with return-less fuel system) breakout box.
  5. Increase engine speed to 2500 rpm and touch the other end of the jumper to XXXXX 103 for approximately 1 second and release.
  6. While maintaining 2500 rpm, monitor RCAM (NGS) / VCTADV (WDS) and repeat Step 5: 1 second on, 1 second off for 20 to 30 cycles.
  7. Verify that RCAM/ VCTADV (WDS) changes from -15 to +45 (approximately) when Pin 103 is connected.
  8. Turn ignition key to locked position and then restart engine.
  9. Monitor PIDs previously selected. Vary engine speed from idle to 3000 rpm. If the cycling procedure succeeded, CAMERR (NGS) / VCTADVERR (WDS) will remain zero and RCAM (NGS) / VCTADV (WDS) will vary with rpm.
  10. If the cycling procedure succeeded:
    1. Clear codes.
    2. Change oil and filter and restore the vehicle.

NOTE: VEHICLES WITH A VARIABLE CAMSHAFT USE FORD OIL FILTER FL-2005, THIS OIL FILTER HAS AN INTERNAL CHECK VALVE THAT KEEPS THE EXHAUST VALVE CLOSED, WHEN THE ENGINE IS OFF, THIS WILL PREVENT ANY HARD START, OVER-FUELING OR FLOODING CONDITIONS ON INITIAL START UP (FIGURE 1).

NOTE: VEHICLES WITH A VARIABLE CAMSHAFT RUN ON A MINIMUM OIL PRESSURE OF 50 PSI. REGARDLESS, OF THE ENGINE TEMPERATURE.

11. If VCT remains disabled at 3000 rpm (RCAM does not increase from idle reading), refer to PC/ED Service Manual.