lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

How do i change the timing belt on a 95 ford escort?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider,

~What size engine does your car have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
My timing belt broke on my 1995 Escort. What do I do now and is it possible to fix it myself?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a 1995 Escort with the 1.9 liter 4. The timing belt broke and I do not have the funds to have it done in a shop. Is it possible for me to fix it myself?
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Yes, the timing belts on that engine are not that difficult, here is the procedure.

Service and Repair

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove accessory drive belt.
  3. Remove the timing belt cover.
  4. Align the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket with the timing mark on the cylinder head.
  5. Confirm that the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket is aligned with the timing mark on the oil pump housing.
  6. Loosen the belt tensioner attaching bolt.
  7. Pry the tensioner away from the timing belt and tighten the attaching bolt.
  8. Remove the spark plugs.
  9. Remove the RH engine mount and raise the vehicle.
  10. Remove the splash shield.
  11. Remove the crankshaft damper.
  12. Remove the timing belt.

Fig. 3 Aligning Timing Marks

Note: Do not mix 1/2 round and trapazoidal belt tooth profiles. This can cause premature belt wear, also the belt is meant to run in a dry environment. For maximum belt life, no oil or belt dressing compound should be applied to the timing belt.

1. Install the timing belt over the sprockets in a counterclockwise direction starting at the crankshaft. Keep the belt span from the crankshaft to the camshaft tight while installing over the remaining sprocket.
  2. Loosen the belt tensioner attaching bolt, allowing the tensioner to snap against the belt.

CAUTION: Do not rotate crankshaft with the spark plugs installed .

Note: Do not turn the engine counterclockwise to line up the timing marks. After rotation, recheck camshaft timing marks for alignment. This will verify that the belt has not skipped a tooth during rotation.

1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise two complete revolutions (720 degrees) stopping at top dead center. This will allow the tensioner spring to load the timing belt.
  2. Tighten the belt tensioner attaching bolt to 23-30 Nm (17-22 lb-ft) .
  3. Install the crankshaft damper.
  4. Install the splash shield.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Install the RH engine mount.
  7. Install the spark plugs.
  8. Install the timing belt cover.
  9. Install the accessory drive belt automatic tensioner.
  10. Install the accessory drive belt.
  11. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. Since the belt broke already is there anything special that I have to do or look for. My local shop told me I need a new engine and it would cost me 3500.00. Thanks in advance.
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Not on a 95 engine, its a free wheeling engine meaning there is no valve to piston damage when the belt breaks, look and wiggle the pulleys under the cover and the water pump to ensure the bearings are good, and no end play. your welcome.

Click the Green ACCEPT button for the answer and please leave a FEEDBACK!!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have finally gotten the time to change the timing belt and water pump on my 1995 Escort 1.9 liter. Your answers were excellant and most helpful. The car is now running. I do have one other question though. When I put the car in reverse or drive, it runs very roughly. Do I need to do anything to adjust the timing?

Thanks in Advance

Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.
Nope, once you set the timing belt up and its on the gears in the proper position(not a tooth off or so) the timing is set, there are no adjustments, if it idles good in park/neutral, then there may be a motor mount concern when the car is put in drive/reverse, causing a vibration, if it idles rough in park/neutral, then I would be looking for a vacuum line leaking or disconnected or a tune up issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is secure and everything is tight and in place. Plugs are new and replaced the serpentine belt also.
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

your welcome. here is a service bulletin for the concern.

Publication Date: JUNE 19, 1995

FORD:1991-1995 ESCORT

The steering wheel may vibrate/shake during idle, with the transmission in gear, on some vehicles. This concern is induced by large A/C system and charging system loads. These loads are transferred through the engine and body causing the steering wheel to vibrate while in gear and at idle.

Replace the engine cooling fan, lower radiator mounts, and engine mounts Numbers 3 and 4. to install the latest parts. Refer to the applicable model year Service Manual for service details.