Chris
Chris, Automotive Repair Business Owner
Experience:  I have 16 years experience in the automotive field and have had Fords all my life.

2008 Ford Escape: changing..front brakes..a diagram..step instructions

Customer Question

I am changing the front brakes on my 2008 Ford Escape Ltd. Do you have a diagram of step by step instructions or can you tell me what tools exactly I will need to do this? Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I'll be glad to help you! Changing brakes on the front of an Escape isn't hard at all. The only special tool you may need is a caliper depressing tool. They can be rented at Autozone for free. You make a refundable deposit and they let you borrow it. Make sure you have a set of metric wrenches also. I think the bolts are 12mm. Here are some pics:graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
The reason I called special attention to those pics is because that's the retention spring. That has to go back together just as you found it. Afttr removing the spring, remove the bolts from the caliper. Place the caliper on top of the rotor and use caliper tool to depress the pistons. CAUTION: Only take apart one side at a time. Make sure to observe their appearance. One pad should have a metal tong on it. That's the squeal sensor. Make sure you put that on the correct side. Once you insert the pads into place abd hace the caliper depressed, position back over top of the pads and insert the bolts and tighten. Repeat procedure for opposite side.

CAUTION: Please pump break pedal after you put the wheels back on and BEFORE you start the vehicle. I don't you to go through your garage door. :)

If you have anymore questions let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I attempted to change the brakes on the Escape a week ago, it looked totally different than when I used to change my brakes on my '97 Chevy Blazer. That intimidated me, so I didn't go any further. The current tools I have are a rachet and socket set, a 4 inch c-clamp, and an allen wrench set (standard). Those are all te tools I needed to change the brakes on my old car. Can I use these same ones or do I have to get the caliper depressing tool?

I was hoping you could just start at step one and give me step by step directions. Sorry to be abother and thanks for your help! Regardless of your response, I will pay you the $15. Thanks.

Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
The c-clamp should work just fine. The instructions I left are the step by step. It's really easy. It's not much different than the brakes on the Blazer. Are the sockets metric?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have metric and standard for the sockets.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Good that should work then. Just follow along what I put on the post and you should be fine. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Chris, Automotive Repair Business Owner
Experience: I have 16 years experience in the automotive field and have had Fords all my life.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!!
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
No problem! Anytime!