POWERSTROKE
POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  FORD DIESEL MASTER CERTIFIED, GAS ENGINE MASTER
6887356

1996 Ford F-350: my abs light started flashing..column..neutral

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Ford F-350 . yesterday my abs light started flashing,and when I start the truck the column is stuck so i cant get it into gear. Did find if I turned the key part way I am able to get into neutral then star the truck & go. But i have no brake lights. I replaced 3 fuses today and all 3 blew instantly. So ABS is flashing ,no brake lights,and cant get into gear.
Category: Ford
Expert:  POWERSTROKE replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

Try checking the brake light switch attached to the pedal under the dash. They were kn own for the wire breaking. Some just get skinned up by the pedal arm and short out. Either way look there first. Let me know what you find

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will check it out . Will I need to remove the dash? Or is it pretty easy to acess and identify.
Just look up under the dash panel and you will see the brake pedal and the arm. In the middle of the arm is the pivot point and thats where the switch is. Ford has a repair kit that comes with a new connector and pigtail to splice in.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I purcashed the switch before work today but due to work,and rain I havent been able to try it yet.It looks like I have to remove a pin that holds it to the brake pedal. So of this switch is bad would it prevent me from being able to put the truck in gear? And cause it to blow fuses?
No the switch is most likley fine the wiring to the switch is the problem, you need to look at the green/red and green wires to the switch to see if the are broken or shorted. The switch is almost never bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well while I ve been looking around under there I havent seen anything obvious. I will see if I can exchang the switch for the repair kit you mentioned.
ok let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

O.K. here is the latest. I live in Hawaii and Ford will have to order the part which sales for 40 bucks. They suggested I try the part store ,and could probably come up with a match as far as the connector and pig tail. i did disconnect the connector from the brake switch after lots of effort. It has some rattling sounds in it so I dont know if that means any thing or not. The parts store looked at my brake switch ,and he came up with the idea of just cutting the wires from the stock connect and putting ends on the wires that will plug directly into the brake switch. Sounded like a good/easy idea to me. So I did and got it all plugged in (still using the old brake switch since you advise its most likely ok)and smoke starts coming from under the hood. Its coming from a wire connection directly in front of my brake fluid reservoir .not sure if its the same wire that leads to the brake switch but that is my guess. Any way the area or part this plugs into looks to be slightly melted now. Im not sure if this was my problem all along or if Im just making things worse.

yes it does thats the cruise deactivation switch. There is a recall for that switch burning up. If you give me the vin i can check to see if its open on your truck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can get you the vin number on Monday. Thanks

Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the vin number is 1ftjw35g8teb1701 Im not sure if the 1's are really 1's or if they are i 's
you are missing 1 number in thee vin it is 17 numbers and letters
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1ftjw35g8teb17701
Yes recall 05s28 is open on your truck, just take it to the dealerf and tell them the harness caught fire and is blowing the fuse and it all should be covered under related damage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
any Ford dealer is o.k. right?
yes any dealer will repair it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So the dealer is telling me Ford wont cover splicing this harness. The guy is telling me its only for the cruise control. So if its not spliced I will have no cruise control. Which I havent had for years,and living in hawaii I never can use it. If I elect not to splice this ,and save 65 bucks will i be able to fix my issue with the ABS light flashing,and no brake lights.

Remeber I cut the end of my connector going to the brake pedal switch and plugged it straight into the switch. I just dont want to make a bigger problem.

so did they do the recall or not?

POWERSTROKE, Ford Mechanic
Experience: FORD DIESEL MASTER CERTIFIED, GAS ENGINE MASTER
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes they did. I just picked it up .I felt like they were kind of giving me the run around because I didnt want them to run diagnostics. Anyway I replaced the fuse ,brake lights are working,ABS light stopped flashing,and I can put truck in gear! You are the master ! Thank you very much for your help and you patience in dealing with me.
Your welcome. let me know if i can ever help with anything else.