Don, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  ASE Master certified, Ford Senior Master, 20 year experience

2001 ford escape: My back hatch wont open

Customer Question

My back hatch won't open on my 2001 ford escape, is there a website that will walk me through how to fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
Hi Kjdeering my name is XXXXX XXXXX this is the site to walk you through. Is the door lock and won't unlock or is the handle broken.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I pull on the handles (door or back hatch window) they are not catching anything to open the door. When it gets cold out below 40 or so it will work again, so I have a feeling something needs to get tightened up on the inside or at least adjusted.
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.

the only way to access the rear door handle and latch. is to get inside in the back and remove the rear door trim. there are 2 screws for the inside handle, and the the panel pulls off. it is held in place by push pins. start near the bottom and find something to get under the panel and gentlly pull towards you. this will give you access to the handle and latch then work the arms by hand to unlatch.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would love to hit accept, except for the instructions did not work. They only way to get my back panel off is by actually getting the door open, which I did eventually by pulling the top part of the panel back. The screws holding the panel on are face down into the floor....a stupid place for them. Thanks for the help anyways. There was some device that needed to be popped up inside next to the lock arms. There were no push pins either.
Expert:  Don replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question