lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

I have a warning light on my dash (2003 Taurus SES) that looks

I have a warning light on my dash (2003 Taurus SES) that looks like a trunk is open or maybe the gas cap is off. I don't have my owner's manual and can't seem to find one online. Can you advise me.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomerthis is lostrider, here is a diagram of the instrument cluster, which number is XXXXX light you have on?graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

#10. Thanks

Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.

Your welcome, that is the fuel cap light, meaning either the fuel cap is loose or not installed or there is a large leak in the evaporative system, Ford supplies a vacuum to the fuel system to check for leaks, and if it wont hold a vacuum it will turn on the fuel cap light first and then the check engine light will come on after a period of time, if the cap is loose, resecure it and disconnect the battery neg terminal for about 5 minuets and this will clear the trouble codes from the system, then drive the car, if the light returns then there is a leak in the system and will have to be diagnosed with the proper test equipment, here is the diagram again with the what the lights stand for, hope this helps.

Instrument Cluster-Standard

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 - Instrument cluster
2 - Odometer reset shaft
3 - Air bag warning indicator
4 - RH turn signal indicator
5 - Charging system warning indicator
6 - Tachometer
7 - Low oil pressure warning indicator
8 - Brake system warning indicator
9 - Cruise control indicator
10 - Check fuel cap indicator
11 - Anti-lock brake system (ABS) warning indicator
12 - Check transmission indicator
13 - Odometer
14 - Transmission range selector indicator
15 - Trip odometer
16 - Theft indicator
17 - Low coolant indicator (if equipped)
18 - Safety belt warning indicator
19 - Low fuel warning indicator
20 - Fuel gauge
21 - Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)
22 - Door ajar warning indicator
23 - Traction control indicator (if equipped)
24 - Engine coolant temperature gauge
25 - High beam indicator
26 - LH turn signal indicator
27 - Speedometer

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just spent a good deal of money to have the PCV valve hose replaced because the check engine light was on. Could this have anything to do with that repair? Should I take the care back to Firestone or do you think this is a new thing?
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
With the pcv hose leaking vacuum, it can cause this concern, with it leaking, there wont be enough vacuum to check the evap system, but to check it you can make sure the fuel cap is tight and do the battery as stated and drive the car, if there is a leak in the system the light will reappear on the dash, it may take 3-4 days for it to show up again(If there is a Leak), if it dont reappear, then it was due to the PCV repair, but you can take it back to Firestone and have them recheck their repairs to make sure they didn't leave anything unhooked or unpluged.
lostrider, Ford Technician