john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

How do replace the front hub bearings on a 1995 ford escort gt

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged view
  1. With the vehicle sitting on the ground, carefully raise the staked portion of the halfshaft retaining nut using a suitable small chisel. Loosen the nut.
  2. Raise the front of the car and support it with safety stands.
  3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

Do not disconnect the brake hose from the caliper.

1. Remove the brake caliper and secure it out of the way with a piece of mechanic's wire. Do not let the caliper hang on the hose.
  2. Remove the brake rotor.
  3. Remove the halfshaft retaining nut and discard it.
  4. Remove the cotter pin and castellated nut from the tie rod end and separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle using a suitable removal tool. Discard the cotter pin.
  5. Use the appropriate tool to separate the tie rod end from the wheel knuckle.
  6. If equipped with an Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), unfasten the ABS sensor bolt and remove the sensor.
  7. Remove the strut mounting nuts and the studs which attach the strut assembly to the steering knuckle.
  8. Seperate the strut from the steering knuckle.
  9. Remove the lower ball joint pinch bolt. Carefully pry down on the lower control arm to separate the ball joint stud from the steering knuckle.
  10. Remove the wheel hub, knuckle and bearing assembly

11. Do not disconnect the brake hose from the caliper.

2. Remove the brake rotor.
    10. Remove the wheel hub, knuckle and bearing assembly from the vehicle.

To install:
    1. Apply Loctite 290® threadlocking compound or equivalent to the ball joint nut and threads.
    2. Install the wheel hub, knuckle and bearing assembly onto the ball joint and tighten the pinch bolt and nut to 32-43 ft. lbs. (43-59 Nm).
    3. Install the tie rod end and tighten the nut to 25-33 ft. lbs. (34-46 Nm). Install a new cotter pin.
    4. If equipped with an Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), install the ABS sensor and tighten the bolt.
    5. Attach the knuckle to the strut assembly and tighten the strut mounting nuts to 69-93 ft. lbs. (93-127 Nm).
    6. Install a new halfshaft retaining nut and tighten to 174-235 ft. lbs. (235-319 Nm). Stake the retaining nut using a suitable chisel with the cutting edge rounded off.

If the nut splits or cracks after staking, it must be replaced with a new nut.

1. Install the brake rotor and caliper.
    2. Install the wheel and tire assembly.
    3. Lower the vehicle.
    4. Check the front wheel alignment.
    5. Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.

DISASSEMBLY

See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5

1. Remove the wheel hub, knuckle and bearing assembly from the vehicle.
    2. Remove and discard the inner wheel bearing oil seal.
    3. Place the wheel hub, knuckle and bearing assembly on a press.
    4. Using an appropriate tool, press the wheel hub out of the knuckle. If the bearing inner race remains on the hub, use a grinder to grind a section of the inner race until only 0.020 inch (0.5mm) remains, then remove the inner race with a chisel.
    5. Remove the retainer ring from the steering knuckle.
    6. Place the knuckle assembly on a press.
    7. Use an appropriate bearing remover to press the bearing from the knuckle.
    8. Scribe a matchmark on the brake rotor shield and knuckle.

If the brake rotor shield is removed, a new rotor shield must be installed.

1. Use a chisel to remove the rotor shield.

Do not remove the wheel lug bolts if they are not damaged.

1. Use the press and an appropriate tool to remove the lug bolts.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Remove and discard the inner wheel bearing oil seal

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Remove the retainer ring (arrow) from the steering knuckle

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Use a press and an appropriate tool to remove the wheel bearing

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: A chisel can be used to remove the brake rotor shield. If the shield is removed, always replace it with a new one

To assemble:
    1. If removed, use the press and an appropriate tool to install new lug bolts.
    2. Scribe a mark on the new brake rotor shield in the same location that was marked on the previous shield.
    3. Align the rotor shield and knuckle matchmarks, the using the press and an appropriate tool, install the shield.
    4. Apply Threadlock 262® or equivalent to the wheel bearing outer race, then using the press and an appropriate bearing installer, press the bearing into the knuckle.
    5. Position the wheel hub onto the knuckle, then the press and an appropriate tool press the hub into the wheel bearing and knuckle.

Always use a new inner wheel bearing oil seal on the inboard side of the knuckle.

1. Use an appropriate seal installer to install the new inner wheel bearing oil seal. Make sure the seal is mounted flush with the knuckle.
    2. Install the wheel hub, knuckle and bearing assembly on the vehicle.

Back to
if this was helpful please hit accept