Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers
13762030

2002 Ford Ranger: fuse keeps blowing..the heater/blower is not on

Customer Question

When I put my 2002 Ford Ranger truck into drive, the fuse keeps blowing when running the heater. Fuse does not blow when the heater/blower is not on.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Which fuse is blowing? Do you have the number?
-Is it located under the dash or the hood?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's under the dash, spot #2
The problem is most likely in the heater blower relay in the under hood fuse box.Remove the relay and check to see if short goes away with the heater activated.If the short is still present,then the problem is in the control switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan, relay and control switch have all been replaced recently. The fuse was not blowing until after the replacements were made. This all started when the blower speeds would not work at all.
So the short in the heater system started after these parts were replaced ,or were the parts replaced to try and get rid of the short? Did you try to unplug the relay and turn the heater on? This will help localize which circuit to look for the short.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The short in the heater system started after these parts were replaced. They were replaced not becuase of the short, but becuase the blower motor itself only worked on full speed.

We just unplugged the blower motor relay, started the truck, turned the blower onto high (no blowing occurred) and then put into drive. As soon as it was put into drive the fuse blew.

I appologize for missing that part of your original question.The putting into drive part.

The fuse #2 also controls the transmission control switch on the steering column.It may be a pinched wire or faulty switch.It may be chaffed and grounding out when shifted.
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience: 30 years with Ford dealers

Were you able to fix your Ranger? Please lt me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Please keep in mind that I do not get paid for helping you unless you click the accept tab .Thank you for your support.Laughing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi. I don't know yet if this will fix the ranger. I still have to take it somewhere for someone to fix. But it does sound feasable. I was satisfied with your assistance and I left a message and clicked accept only minutes after your last response on Friday. However, I just got in this morning to see a message awaiting a response. I guess the accept did not go thru... Thank you for your help.

Ok,thanks for the accept! Let me know how it goes.