Anthony
Anthony, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp.
15218643

2003 Lincoln Navigator: 4x4..I checked all fuses, the compressor relay

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator 4x4 and the air ride is not working. I checked all fuses, the compressor relay and the compressor itself. The compressor came on when i used a jumper wire from the battery to the relay. I have been using "ALLDATA" to help fix the problem with little progress. Where is the control module under the dash? The truck has been sitting for a while because of a timing chain issue. But that is all repaired and the truck runs great. Is there a way to manually inflate the air bags just incase i have to take it to the dealer?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Heres some pictures and locations for you:

• NOTE: Be sure that the ignition switch is in the ON position and the air suspension service switch is in the ON position before determining that the 4WAS module will not enter the self-test.

Unable to enter self-test

• Air suspension service switch.
  • 4WAS module.
  • Vehicle raises and/or lowers too slowly
  • Front/rear pneumatic failure.
  • Height sensor.
  • Air compressor assembly.
  • Circuitry.
  • Solenoid.
  • Air line.
  • Uneven vehicle height
  • Front/rear pneumatic failure.
  • Height sensor.
  • Solenoid.
  • Air compressor assembly.
  • Air line.
  • Circuitry.
  • The air compressor continuously cycles with the ignition switch in the OFF position and no DTC is set
  • Circuitry.
  • Air suspension relay.
  • 4WAS module.
  • The air suspension system is inoperative without DTCs and vehicle at rest
  • UBP network communication fault.
  • Air suspension system operates with air suspension service switch in the OFF position
  • Circuitry.
  • Air suspension switch.
  • 4WAS module.
  • Excessive air compressor noise
  • Silencer.
  • Mounting bracket.
  • Air compressor assembly.
  • Air compressor assembly in contact with other components.
  • The compressor is inoperative
  • BJB fuse 111 (50A).
  • Air compressor assembly.
  • Circuitry.
  • Air suspension (electromechanical or solid state) relay.
  • DTC B1566: Door circuit failure
  • Door(s) or liftgate open during on demand self-test.
  • Validate that all doors, liftgate, and liftgate glass are closed. Check the door ajar indicator in the cluster.
  • NOTE: Vehicle speed signal is sent through the UBP communication (secondary) network and it is transmitted by hardwire (primary).

DTC C1445: Vehicle Speed Signal Circuit Failure

• Circuitry.
  • PCM.
  • UBP communication

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .

1. NOTE: The air suspension control module is mounted to the lower left side of the dash above the parking brake control.

Disconnect the electrical connectors.

graphic

NOTE: This test is for the harness side of the relay circuitry.

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 149 , relay component for schematic and connector information.

O1 CHECK AIR COMPRESSOR RELAY CONNECTOR
  • Disconnect: Air Compressor Relay C1000.
  • Inspect the pins of the air compressor relay connector for corrosion, bent or broken pins, moisture, or other damage.
  • Is the air compressor relay C1000 OK?
Yes
GO to O2 .

No
REPAIR as necessary. TEST the system for normal operation.
O2 CHECK CIRCUIT 1053 (LB/BK)
  • Measure the voltage between air compressor relay C1000 pin 1, circuit 1053 (LB/BK), harness side and ground.
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to O3 .

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
O3 CHECK CIRCUIT 538 (GY/RD)
  • Disconnect: Air Compressor Assembly C194.
  • Measure the resistance between air compressor relay C1000 pin 5, circuit 538 (GY/RD), harness side and air compressor assembly C194 pin 4, circuit 538 (GY/RD), harness side.
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to O4 .

No
O4 CHECK CIRCUIT 577 (LG/RD)
  • Measure the resistance between air compressor assembly C194 pin 1, circuit 577 (LG/RD), harness side and ground.
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
RECONNECT air compressor relay C1000 and air compressor assembly C194. GO to O5 .

No
O5 CHECK AIR COMPRESSOR AFTER COOL DOWN PERIOD
  • Turn the air suspension service switch to the OFF position. Allow the vehicle to sit for 60 minutes to give the air compressor assembly time to cool off.
  • Turn the air suspension service switch to the ON position.
  • Key in ON position.
  • TRIGGER the 4WAS module vent on active command.
  • TRIGGER the 4WAS module compressor on active command.
  • Does the air compressor assembly run?
Yes
GO to O8 .

No
GO to O6 .
O6 CHECK AIR COMPRESSOR RELAY POWER
  • Measure the voltage between air compressor relay C1000 pin 2 circuit 577 (PK/LB), harness side and ground.
  • Is the voltage less than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to O7 .

No
REPAIR circuit 577 (PK/LB). TEST the system for normal operation.
O7 CHECK AIR COMPRESSOR RELAY
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Connect a fused (50A) jumper wire (10 gauge) between air compressor relay C1000 pin 3, circuit 1053 (LB/BK), harness side and air compressor relay C1000 pin 5, circuit 538 (GY/RD), harness side.
  • Does the air compressor run?
Yes
DISCONNECT the jumper wire. INSTALL a new air compressor relay. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
DISCONNECT the jumper wire. INSTALL a new air compressor. REFER to Air Suspension Compressor in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
O8 CHECK AIR COMPRESSOR THERMAL BREAKER
  • TRIGGER the 4WAS module LR and RR air spring solenoid valve open active commands.
  • Run the air compressor assembly for 60 seconds.
  • Did the air compressor assembly run for 60 seconds?