john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

Ford 5.4 Triton engine swap,

I found a 5.4 triton out of 2002 superduty, I want to install it in my 2001 F-150, which has a 5.4 triton, my local Ford dealer told me to call a wrecking yard, they dont known if these engines are the same. The wercking yards I called are split, two say it is the same one said it is differant. The replacement engine is a three hour drive away, I would like to be sure before I take a road trip, the seller is unable to send pictures. Is there one number of the VIN that would be the same, or maybe a number on the block?
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 years ago.

according to my book they are different. I know they have the both the same vin code L

They also have 5.4 motors with and without egr valves. It most likely is the same block with different bolt ons But here is a great site to find a correct motor near you.