Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

Ford: powerstroke..1500 rpm + , unplug map sensor..fuel pressure

1999 7.3 ford powerstroke   code for low boost pressure , replaced map sensor,no change ,problem cleared up for no reason for 3 days,motor will not go over 2300 rpm lot of blue smoke at 1500 rpm + , unplug map sensor, can get 3200 rpm little boost,now it has lost fuel pressure,I AM LOST!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

What was the code number?

Repair history of the truck?

Does your scan tool read pid data?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am at home I don't remember code. I am used a Genisis Scan tool, It it a code for low boost pressure. Three days ago it was giving the same code, and had no power and no boost. I replaced map sensor, no change. While I had it on my Genisis looking at readings, truck cleared and ran well. Then three days later while they were driving it, the truck lost power again. Checked turbo, blades through breather housing spins free.

Today while checking, I think it lost fuel pressure. Barely will idle. Don't really know what PID data stands for.

My cell phone number is (XXX) XXX-XXXX

Thanks

What makes you think you lost fuel pressure? Did you have a pressure gauge on it?

PID Data is the ability to read individual sensor voltages, pressure, etc. Does your tool do that?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes

Thanks

What was the fuel pressure reading?

What did the boost pid read?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
have not checked fuel pressure, ran out time, I think trouble code was 1267. Boost pressure was 14.

Thanks

We really need to find out what the fuel pressure. If it is less than 40 psi we have a fuel delivery issue. Replace fuel filter first. If it is really cold where you're at it could be fuel gelling. This will restrict the fuel flow. There are additives for this.

The 1267 code is for cylinder #7. There are at least 3 different boost codes. It would really help to know what the code is.

Make sure the oil is at the proper level.

Also check the fuel for any gas. If there is gas in the diesel fuel, it will cause really big issue and smoke also.

Thanks