Ed, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Certified Technican. 10+ years Exp.

2006 ford taurus: runing..slow cools off for an hour..linkage

my 2006 ford taurus occasionaly starts runing at a high rpm and will not slow down even when it has not run long enough to get hot but when it cools off for an hour or so it will start to idle again. I checked the linkage and nothing seems to be wrong.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ed replied 7 years ago.
Hello there. Two things come to mind that I have run into that would cause this. The first would be that the idle air control valve is sticking fully open and causing the condition. When the engine is idleing too fast try giving the valve a couple taps with a screwdriver handle and see if the engine slows down. The other thing would be to loosen the oil fill cap while the rpms are up. If you loosen the cap and you hear alot of air rushing in and the rpms speed up most likely the pcv valve is sticking and needs replaced.