fix that car
fix that car, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ten years working on ford cars and trucks
14855034

Have a 94 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 - the brake lights do not

Customer Question

Have a 94 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 - the brake lights do not respond when I press the brake BUT rear lights go on if I put all the lights on. The only exception to lights is the high break light but because I am not used to that set up I did not check for a bad bulb yet.
Category: Ford
Expert:  fix that car replied 5 years ago.

hiCustomer

so you have tail lights but no brake lights is this correct? does the third brake light work?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Third brake light not working - seems that is a bulb problem and husband will go see about new ones so we can check if it actually works or not.

Yes - I have tail lights working when I use the headlamp switch on the dash (one with the picture of a light bulb on it).

I hit enter too soon re original question - person I bought car from made a temporary fix for this problem but husband is not sure what wires go to what. Old owner said that it was possible a new switch was needed or wires just needed to be better secured.

ALSO ABS light is on all the time
ok lets look under the dash, if you look at the brake pedel and follow the pedel braket up you will see a switch that the braket will come int contact with this switch may be bad. there is a button on the end that you should be able to depress this will turn brake lights off and when nothing is touching this button the lights shoud be on. use a test light to check for power at this switch. if the switch does not fix your problem we will need to pull the codes from the abs computer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wish me luck
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

HI!

Do your hazzard lights or turnsignals work in the back?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes both of those work in the back
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

Ok. That means that the bulbs are good.

Have someone or your self check and see if the third brake lamp bulb is good. If it's burned out replace it and let me know if only that brake lamp works.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Third break light bulbs have been replaced but they do not light up.

Nothing lights up when the brake is pressed.
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

You are looking at a bad brake pedal switch. If you look just above the brake pedal, there is a switch. Unplug the electrical connector from it. Bend a paperclip in a u shape and stick it into the connector. The brake lights should be on when the paperclip is in. Did the brake lamps come on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOL - Not sure husband will do that for me - might have to do it myself!!

He just left to get some lunch (hopefully for me too - but never know around here!)

If he did not take my car key I will go try it now - otherwise have to wait till he returns

here is a fun song!
http://eilish599.vox.com/library/audio/6a00fa969ba063000300fad6b32b1c0005.html
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.
Ok let me know when you have tried the paperclip.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The husband says he does not see a "switch" but some wires that join together that he had pulled apart and put back together. Is this the spot that needs to be poked with bent paperclip?

LOL guess he is right to take the side of caution and not screw things up by poking the wrong spot with the paperclip!!
Expert:  Anthony replied 5 years ago.

If you cant identify the switch, you may want to have a mechanic check the switch for you. A new switch will cost about $15 + .2 hours of labor to replace.

the switch is mounted in a bracket and may have as many as four wires going to it. if there are broken or disconected wires you will need to restore these conections. as the brake pedel is used it will come into contact with the switch if you don't see the switch look for a empty wirering conector or possably the switch may have come out of th bracket and is hanging by the wires. should be on braket above brake pedel.
you will be able to install this switch yourself once you are able to identifiy it. this is a very easy repair. hope this helps if not please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am currently looking for a picture for this switch online to help ID it
as am I. I am also looking though my books.
here are some pics. that should help. the second pic. is of a newer explorergraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found this helpful

graphic

but we are still confused what part to touch with the paperclip - husband just can't get his mind around the request to test a piece being called a switch that does not seem to look like a switch. He has done some car DIY stuff for decades now but this has thrown him.

So let me try -- There are two pieces - a female part that this "switch" fits into and the "switch" The female part seems to have power (hmm I first touched the other part first and got a small spark - guess that is a good sign)

ok lets start by unplugging the conector from the switch, you should have 2 terminals in the conector. using a paper clip bridge the terminals on the electric conector (the part you unplugged) when you do this the brake lights should come on and when the paper clip is removed the lights should go out. if this is what happens then the switch is bad.
I will be going home and will check to see if you need more info when I get there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We will work on this again tomorrow - it is dark here now and getting more rainy.
no problem, please le me know if I can be of help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The husband is still unsure re poking this with the bent paperclip

Does the ignition need to be turned on to test this?
Anything else I should know/be able to tell him?
no the ignition does not need to be on, if it will set his mind at ease you can wrap the jumper clip with tape, but the is no danger in doing this ptocedure.

hows it going can i be of any help?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok - we got lights with the paperclip (he made me do the poking ! LOL)

husband removed the switch but lost the pin that held it to the brake pedal arm
says it "flew off" but both of us looked and we can't locate it

local parts place does not have the switch

he will need to check with one of the local Ford dealer's next
ok good, if you can not find the pin you should buy a new one, it is a spring loaded pin the holds itself in place. a regular pin will not hold the same. I am glad your lights are working. if i can help anymore please let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
more adventures - local dealership does not have the part - has to order - $32 for that

no luck finding the pin and so far folks husband has dealt with don't know or dont' have this pin (which seems very odd to me)

will let you know how things progress
THE FORD DEALER WILL HAVE AN EXPLODED VEIW OF THE SWITCH AND ALL RELATED COMPONETS i will try to get you a ford part number for the pin. (sorry about all cap above)

ok the ford part number for the pin is

380699-s424 and retails for 2.60

fix that car, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ten years working on ford cars and trucks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
more adventures - local dealership does not have the part - has to order - $32 for that part you suggested would cost $15

and it does NOT include ordering a pin

Can't really get a straight answer from husband re why it was also ordered

He is a shy, quiet Irish born fella - can be easily overwhelmed when it is not about Gaelic Games or carpentry (his trade)

The item number for the pin on the exploded view of this stuff is different than what you gave me - it is 380699-s100 - seems the person at the desk implied that he could not get just the pin but some whole set up to get it.

The item number for the part on order is: E9AZ 13480A a switch ASY for $30.16
plus tax.

Should we be able to get the pin separately??

yes you can get the pin by itself the number I gave you is from a ford dealership here in Ca.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<sigh> not sure if it is the husband's fault or the dealership but was on the phone with the dealership guy and he asked were we dealing with a bronco and I nearly shouted NO - it is an EXPLORER!

He still thinks one cannot get the pin separately but can get one for a Bronco at $14

As a walk in for these parts should I see such a difference between what you tell me and what they tell me re cost?
heres what you can do go online and look up country ford truck in ceres Ca. and call them and give them the part number I gave you and ask them what it is and what it will cost. I can't give you the phone number because the site will block it out. I spoke with Martin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My dealership (Scarsdale NY) says that part number is XXXXX good for the pin but we could use a cotter (sp?) pin

the switch should come tomorrow
a cotter pin will work if you make sure to get it inserted all the way and split the end so there is NO WAY for it to work itself out.
did this fix your problem. did I answer all of your concerns?
fix that car, Ford Mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It works!!! In time for my birthday!!!! LOL - we just installed the new switch and confirmed that it was the right fix!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

lol you were so much help I am sure you will see more of me around here!!! I will have LOTS of questions about this 94 Explorer!

good deal let me know when you need another fix.

Thanks