Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

why doesnt my heat get completely hot?i have a 2000 expedition

why doesn't my heat get completely hot?i have a 2000 expedition
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello Customer'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns.

• Any noticed concers with the engine coolant temp reading on your dash?
  • How many miles?
  • Has it ever had a coolant service?
  • Any color concerns noticed when looking at the coolant?
  • The little bit of heat it does blow out can you change the temp from at least warm back to cold and it works correct in this manner?
  • While idling after aXXXXXare both heater core hoses on the firewall extremly hot while the heat is being commanded and the blower is on high?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thecoolant doesn't look the greatest

i recently changed the thermostat but that changed nothing

both heater hoses are hot but one is definately hotter than the other

the heat selector does work from cold to hot

the vehicle has about 100,000 miles

Your last reply leads me to 2 possible causes.

1. The coolant can get nasty from a corrosion, the first thing to corrode in the cooling system is the fins on the water pump. This will first affect the heater core and then once bad enough it will affect the engine temp. It will show up as a color concern of the coolant. In this case there is not really an accurate diag except removeing it and insecting it.
  2. The other possible cause is the heater core is blocked, but it can only get blocked by debris or from previous stop leak added.

I suggest you remove the thermostat and upper and lower radiator hose and the heater core hoses from the engine. Now flush the heater core and engine and radiator forward and backward using your garden hose. Pay close attention to the flow rate on the heater core to see if there is restrictions. This will clean everything up. Now refill the system 50-50 and giv eit a shot, If this fails then replace the water pump. I really do not believe this a concern with the interior of the vehicle with the blend door or door actuator since you can control what temp you do have.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience