FORDFXR
FORDFXR, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  FORD MASTER TECHNICIAN ALBERTA JOURNEYMAN INTERPROVICIAL STANDARD
7906536

1989 ford F-250: a manual glow plug relay

Customer Question

hi need a simple drawing on how to install a manual glow plug relay on a 1989 ford F-250 pick up truck
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

I am enclosing the location of the glow plug relay/controller. Its held on with 2 bolts and I suggest you take one wire off at a time and install it on the relay in the same location.

enclosed is the relay and what it looks like.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry did not help much really need a diagram of hot to install a bypass glow plug relay for 1989 ford f-250 7.3 diesel pick up
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Im not sure what you are trying to do So I will opt out. There isnt much for step by step instructions due to the age of the truck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
need a diagram on how to install a manual bypass glow plug relay on a 1989 ford f-250 7.3 diesel pick-up truck
Expert:  FORDFXR replied 5 years ago.

hiCustomer/p>

first i would like to recommend that you do not install a bypass.

i can tell you how if you would like, but why are you wanting to do this?

if the system is not working correctly a bypass may create more concerns than you currently have

before installing a bypass, i recommend that you test the system and make sure it is working correctly

remove each of the glow plug connectors and check with a test light from the battery positive to the connector, the light should glow. if you have a plug that is open circuit this will affect the operation of the glow plug controller

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
test glow plugs they are fine change controller twice i figure they are getting to costly so i wanted another alternative
Expert:  FORDFXR replied 5 years ago.

ok

i have a drawing here, if you use a starter relay the same as the one in your truck (if a ford part) it will have a clamping diode built into it which will control the voltage spike which will be created when the button is released.

mount the relay to a good ground (the mounting screws on the relay will provide the ground side for the control circuit)

use a fused wire from b(+) to the small terminal on the relay and hook the heavy yellow and brown wires to the large terminals on the relay.

REMEMBER IF THE POWER IS HELD ON TO THE GLOW PLUGS TOO LONG, DAMAGE TO THE PLUGS WILL RESULT!!

here is a chart to give you an idea of how long the plugs should be on

0 deg f--25-60 sec

35 deg f-15-35 sec

70 deg f - 7-15 sec

105 deg f 3-5 sec

140 deg f 1-3 sec

graphic

FORDFXR, Ford Mechanic
Experience: FORD MASTER TECHNICIAN ALBERTA JOURNEYMAN INTERPROVICIAL STANDARD